Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with circuit

1. Jul 27, 2006 #1
    hello im trying to make a simple red stop light circuit and im wondering if this layout would work (one set of leds is for north and other is for east) like i want when the norht side is green the east side is red and other way around and when north is yellow east is still read

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Marth. I can't help you with your question because electronics is not my thing. I do, however, want to compliment you for what is probably the best circuit diagram that I've seen posted in these forums.

4. Jul 27, 2006 #3
    If you are using a 4017 decade counter, only one of the output pins will be on (therefore only one LED will be on at a time). To me, it looks like the design will cycle through every LED (staying at green 2 cycles longer).

I think the LEDs will cycle as follows (N=North, E=East, G=Green...)

NG - NG - NG - NY - NR - EG - EG - EG - EY - ER - Back to beginning

I'm also confused as to why you have the diodes in series with the green and yellow LED and not with red. Is there a reason you want them in there?

If I were to do it with the 4017 I would set MR to Q3 (maybe Q4 depending on the timing) to force the counter to go back to Q0. This would give you 4 states (Q0-Q3) corresponding to the 4 different states of the system:

NG ER; NY ER; NR EG; NR EY

With this you would connect the following:
    Pin 3: Q0: NG and ER
    Pin 2: Q1: NY and ER
    Pin 4: Q2: NR and EG
    Pin 7: Q3: NR and EY and Pin 15: MR
    (I also don't think that 100k resistor or 6.8 nF cap are necessary)

Its been a little while so I invite people to examine my suggestions.

D Dean

Of course you still need a resistor before each LED and I don't think you need any diodes.

Also, I' may be wrong but I'm not sure that the 10k resistor between the 555 and 4017 is necessary.

5. Jul 27, 2006 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, it's a rather bad schematic, mainly because it only gives pin numbers for the devices, rather than pin names. You have to go to the device datasheets and look up what pin 5 does, for example, to even follow how it's connected.

- Warren

6. Jul 27, 2006 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Well, I meant for neatness and clarity, and the colour doesn't hurt. I didn't realize that the pins need to be named.

edit: That's peculiar. I just clicked on it again (several times), and a bunch of it is missing now.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  7. Jul 28, 2006 #6

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I looks like an attempt at diode logic.
    This is the functional equivilent of a prom chip.

The truth table for the diode matrix needs some work.

The 6.8nf and 100k are for power on reset. Nice touch.

Don't know if a 4017 can drive that much current.
    Check the spec. You may need to add current drivers to the outputs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?