Help with Modeling Circuits Using Sedra/Smith Book

• Thread starter Lanot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of two different electronics books for studying, and the discovery of a different way of modeling circuits from one of the books. The main question posed is about rewriting a circuit in a closed loop manner and the potential difference calculation between different points in the circuit. The expert responds by explaining the need to connect all voltage sources to the ground and clarifies the role of the earthed terminal in the circuit. The expert also mentions a potential surprise when calculating the voltage.
Lanot
Hi

A year ago I took an Electronics course using https://www.amazon.com/dp/0805302859/?tag=pfamazon01-20 book.

So few days ago I realized that I didn't remember anything about the subject and then started studying again from the ground up and chose the Sedra/Smith Microelectronics book for the task. So in this book I stumbled upon a different way of modeling the circuits, like this one:

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5637/diodecircuit.png

My question is: How do I rewrite this kind of circuit in a closed loop manner? The other book that I mentioned usually provided the closed loop circuit, so it was a trivial task to analyze them. But this one I have no idea, and the introductory chapter doesn't mention anything about it...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
This sort of thing?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/diode%20problem.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
So you're saying that I must plug all the voltage sources of my circuit to that GND? And how about the other GND in that picture? the Potential Difference will be calculated between the point after the 10k resistor and the the junction between the 2 voltage sources and the other diode?

Lanot said:
So you're saying that I must plug all the voltage sources of my circuit to that GND? And how about the other GND in that picture? the Potential Difference will be calculated between the point after the 10k resistor and the the junction between the 2 voltage sources and the other diode?

Yes.
The other terminal of voltage sources shown like this is earthed, and all Earth's can be considered joined together.

The diagram in the book actually shows the components laid out according to the potentials at various points in the circuit, relative to earth.

You may get a surprise when you work out what V is.

Excellent!

Thank you so much.

1. What is the Sedra/Smith book and why is it important for modeling circuits?

The Sedra/Smith book, officially titled "Microelectronic Circuits," is a widely-used textbook for understanding and designing electronic circuits. It covers topics such as circuit analysis, semiconductor devices, and amplifier design. Its importance lies in its comprehensive coverage of both fundamental concepts and real-world applications, making it a valuable resource for engineers and students alike.

2. How can the Sedra/Smith book help with circuit modeling?

The Sedra/Smith book provides a step-by-step approach to modeling circuits, starting with fundamental principles and building up to more complex circuits. It also includes numerous examples and problems for practice, helping readers develop a strong understanding of circuit modeling techniques.

3. Is the Sedra/Smith book suitable for beginners?

While the Sedra/Smith book is a comprehensive resource, it may be challenging for beginners who have no prior knowledge of electronics. It is recommended to have a basic understanding of circuit analysis and semiconductor devices before diving into this book.

4. Are there any additional resources that can supplement the Sedra/Smith book?

Yes, there are many supplementary resources available that can enhance the learning experience with the Sedra/Smith book. These include online tutorials, lecture videos, and simulation software such as LTSpice or MATLAB. It is also helpful to consult with a knowledgeable instructor or mentor for guidance and clarification.

5. Is the Sedra/Smith book relevant for current circuit design practices?

Yes, the Sedra/Smith book is still highly relevant for current circuit design practices. While it was first published in 1982, it has been regularly updated to include the latest advancements in electronics technology. This makes it a valuable resource for understanding the fundamentals of circuit design and applying them to modern electronic systems.