1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with circuit

1. Mar 18, 2013 #1
    Hi

I'm having trouble working out the total resistance in the circuit i have attached an image of.

Thanks in advance :)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2013 #2
    Everything that is connected with wires can can be joined in a single point.

attachment.php?attachmentid=56858&stc=1&d=1363655330.png

Now every resistance that's between two of these points will be parallel with any other resistance that's between the same two points. For example between green and red you have 3 resistances in parallel, wich you can replace by their equivalent.

Attached Files:

4. Mar 18, 2013 #3
    can i please have the solution for this question because i have difficulty getting the answer because it's the first time i'm doing this type of problem.

Thanks in advance.

5. Mar 18, 2013 #4
    Hi

I'm having trouble working out the total resistance in the circuit i have attached an image of.

Thanks in advance :)

Attached Files:

6. Mar 18, 2013 #5
    what do you tried/know so far?

7. Mar 18, 2013 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

we try to avoid giving direct solutions, you dont learn anything that way ;)

redraw your circuit using willem2's suggestion.
    You will see initially, you have 2 sets of parallel resistors the upper 6Ω, 12Ω and 4Ω ones
    and the lower 2 lots of 4Ω ones
    solve those 2 sets of parallel values

then you have a pair of 2Ω ones in series that you can get a total value for

Redraw the circuit now with those calculated totals and then do any other series or parallel calculations :)

here's a formula for calculating resistors in parallel .....

attachment.php?attachmentid=56861&stc=1&d=1363657992.gif

have some attempts to work it out, show us your working and us guys will guide you through the process :)

Dave

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  8. Mar 18, 2013 #7
    Thanks guys, i got the solution thanks to you.

:)

9. Mar 18, 2013 #8
    solved it thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted