Solving Circuit Problems: Tips and Techniques for Finding Voltage and Current

• Engineering
  • Thread starter th3plan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem and how to solve it using Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL) and current law. The problem can be broken into multiple loops, but only two independent equations are needed. The direction of the current must be marked with arrows and the potential drop across a resistor is IR. The conversation also mentions that the thread may be moved to a homework section and advises the person to post similar questions there in the future.
th3plan
Help please, with circuits

Can someone help me solve his circuit. I need to find the Voltage on all the resistors, and current through them. HOw would i start? Can i break this into two loops? How would i implement KVL to this ?

See attachment for picture

Attachments

• circuit.JPG
    circuit.JPG
    5.1 KB · Views: 321
Physics news on Phys.org

Be advised that this thread will probably quickly be moved to the homework section of the boards. You should post questions of this nature there, from now on.

You can start by recalling that the voltage across the two rightmost resistors will be the same. Can you find the voltage across this pair (combination) of resistors?

th3plan said:
Can someone help me solve his circuit. I need to find the Voltage on all the resistors, and current through them. HOw would i start? Can i break this into two loops? How would i implement KVL to this ?

Hi th3plan! :smile:

You can always break any diagram into as many loops as you like.

In this case, there are 3 loops (the left one, the right one, and the whole outside one).

But they'll only give you 2 independent equations … in other words, if you apply KVL to all three loops, you'll find that the third equation is just a combination of the first two (in any order :wink:).

So it doesn't really matter which 2 loops you choose.

Just mark the (unknown) currents on the diagram where appropriate, and chug happily away! :smile:

So consider the first loop , its what 10v-V1-V2=0 and 2nd loop is v2-v3=0 ? Is this correct, how do i consider what's positive and negative? Do i pick a node and go from there as current enters and current exits ?

The potential drop across a resistor is IR. Designate separate current I1 and I2 for the two branches in your circuit. You can write it like this:
If the current flows into + terminal of element, potential is IR. If it flows into - terminal of the voltage source, read it as -10V
So you have
-Vsource + I1R1 + (I1 + I2)R2 = 0

where R1 and R2 are the resistors in the loop under consideration.

mark the currents with arrows

th3plan said:
… how do i consider what's positive and negative?

Hi th3plan! :smile:

To add to what Defennder says … for Kirchhoff's rules you must mark an arrow on each part of the circuit, to indicate the direction of the current.

(And of course, you must mark the current itself, I1 I2 and I3 … which I suspect you haven't done :frown:)

You don't need to get the arrow the right way round … if it's the wrong way round, then your I just comes out negative.

But you must make sure that your arrow directions and Is all obey KVL I at each node. :wink:

1. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop path that electricity can flow through. It consists of various components such as wires, resistors, capacitors, and transistors, which work together to control the flow of electricity. Circuits are used in almost all electronic devices, from small household appliances to complex computer systems.

2. How do I calculate the voltage in a circuit?

To calculate the voltage in a circuit, you can use Ohm's Law which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). So, V = I x R. You can also use a voltmeter to measure the voltage directly in a circuit.

3. What is the purpose of a resistor in a circuit?

A resistor is a component that is used to limit the flow of electricity in a circuit. It is often used to control the amount of current that flows through a circuit, which can help to protect other components from damage. Resistors can also be used to create specific voltage drops in a circuit.

4. How do I troubleshoot a circuit that is not working?

First, check to make sure all components are connected properly and that there are no loose connections. Next, use a multimeter to check for continuity in the circuit and to measure the voltage at different points. If there is a break in the circuit, you may need to replace a component or fix a broken wire. If everything appears to be connected correctly, you may need to consult a schematic or seek professional help to diagnose the issue.

5. What is the difference between a series and parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, so the same current flows through each component. In a parallel circuit, each component is connected to the power source separately, so the current is divided between the components. The voltage remains the same in a series circuit, but in a parallel circuit, the voltage across each component can vary.