Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Circuits

1. Mar 5, 2009 #1
    I am new to circuits analysis; just wanted to confirm I am doing this problem right:

The partial circuit is attached to this post.

Is V oc equal to the voltage across the current source?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2009 #2
    yeah, but as drawn, that resistor has no current, and thus no voltage drop. once it stops being a partial circuit and is attached to other things, then that will change.

4. Mar 5, 2009 #3
    I guess I should have made it more clear. This is a problem in which we are supposed to find the Thevenin equivalent. I had omitted redrawing the circuit on the farthest left of the diagram ( which is shown by dotted lines). The farthest right of the circuit (where Voc is shown) is supposed to be V Th. Do I still need to count the resistor to the right of the current source in my calculation? I thought there is no current floeing through that resistor since it is an open circuit situation?

5. Mar 5, 2009 #4
    You're right about Voc, sorry for the misinformation. Voc is the same as the voltage across the current source. The resistor does need to be counted in the Rth calculation, though. I deleted my previous post so I wouldn't confuse anyone else. Thanks for straightening me out Proton Soup. :biggrin:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook