Solve Circuits Homework: V=IR, 12V & 24V, 2-8 Ohms

• Thread starter GreenPrint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
The current entering a parallel combination of resistors will be the sum of the current in each resistor.In summary, the problem involves a battery with four resistors attached to it, with varying voltage and resistances. The current through R1 is calculated to be 6 A, and the current through R2 is calculated to be 3 A. The total current for the battery is found to be 9 A. To find the equivalent resistance of the circuit, the resistors in parallel must be simplified to two resistors in series. The voltage drop across resistors in parallel will be equal, but the current will not, with the total current being the sum of the current in each resistor.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/2366/capturewvb.jpg"

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Given Information
V I R
Battery
R1 12 V 2 ohm
R2 4 ohm
R3 24 V 4 ohm
R4 8 ohm

I can calculate the current of R1
V = IR
I = V/R
I = 12 V/2 = 6 A = I1

pl if I'm correct sense R1 and R2 are in parrallel and right next to the battery they should share the same voltage?

R2 = 12 V
from which I can calculate the current
V = IR
I = V/R = 12 V / 4 ohm = 3 A = I2

now the current for the whole batter should just be I1 + I2? = 6 A + 3 A = 9 A = I battery

I can fidn the R battery by doing

(1/R1 + 1/R2)^-1 + (1/R3 + 1/R4)^-1 = (1/2 + 1/4)^-1 + (1/4 + 1/8)^-1 = 4 ohm = R battery

am i doing this right were do i go from here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Find the equivalent resistance of both of the two resistors in parallel then you'll have a circuit with two resistors in series and you should be able to find what you need to find.

The voltage drop across resistors in parallel will be equal but the current will not.

What is the formula for finding voltage in a circuit?

The formula for finding voltage in a circuit is V=IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

What do 12V and 24V mean in the context of a circuit?

12V and 24V refer to the voltage of the power source in the circuit. They indicate the amount of energy available to flow through the circuit.

What is the significance of 2-8 Ohms in a circuit?

2-8 Ohms represents the range of resistance in the circuit. Ohms is the unit of measurement for resistance, and a lower resistance allows for more current to flow through the circuit.

How do I use the V=IR formula to solve a circuit problem?

To use the V=IR formula, first determine the values of V (voltage) and R (resistance) in the circuit. Then, plug in those values into the formula and solve for I (current).

What are some common uses for the V=IR formula in real life?

The V=IR formula is commonly used in electronic devices and electrical systems, such as in household appliances, car circuits, and power grids. It is also used in scientific experiments and research to understand and manipulate electrical currents.