1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with classical mechanics

1. Sep 19, 2005 #1
    Hi!

My classical mechanics course is proving to be quite a challenge. The textbook has not arrived yet, and my professor has already assigned a problem set. For example, one question is

A bead of mass m is constrained to move along a smooth conical spiral. The radius of the spiral ρ = a z and the angle along the spiral φ = - b z where ρ, φ and z are the standard cylindrical coordinates. Find the equation of motion of the bead.

I have no idea where to start because we don't do any examples of worked problems in class, only theory and proofs. Does someone know any good online resources that I can check out?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2005 #2
    Essentially you can find z as a function of time. The rest are constraints. Write down the Lagrangian in terms of rho, phi and z, then substitute where applicable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?