What are the velocities of the two objects when they meet?

• Thread starter Amuro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, the two particles meet at point O, and the first object has a velocity of 3.00m/sec and the second object has a velocity of 1.00m/sec2.
Amuro

Homework Statement

Two objects A and B are moving in opposite directions toward each other in one dimensional motion along the east-west (-X, +X) line. Initially they have velocities of equal magnitude, 3.00 m/sec, with the first particle subject to a uniform acceleration of 2.00m/sec
2 directed in the positive +X direction and B, which is 20.00 meters away in the +X direction from A, is subject to a uniform acceleration of 1.00 m/sec2 directed in the -X direction.

Homework Equations

Obtain the distance from the initial position A of the first object and the direction of the point where they meet and the time t at which the meeting occurs.

The Attempt at a Solution

For object A I wrote: x = 3t + t2
For object B I wrote: 20 - x = 3t + .5t2

I followed my professor's example and I cross multiplied but that doesn't work here. In the problem my professor did the initial velocities were set to 0, so cross multiplying worked. Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Drop the expression for x from the first equation into the second. Solve the quadratic for t.

Thank you VERY much.

I have a problem which has a part B that states:

Also obtain the magnitudes and directions of the velocities Va and Vb respectively of the two particles at the meeting point O. How do you figure this out?

doby466@aol.c said:
I have a problem which has a part B that states:

Also obtain the magnitudes and directions of the velocities Va and Vb respectively of the two particles at the meeting point O. How do you figure this out?

The problem states that the motions are one dimensional, so determining directions of motion shouldn't be too difficult: they're either positive or negative along the x-axis.

As for the magnitude of the velocity, what is the general relationship between position and velocity? (hint: a teensy bit of calculus).

1. How do I calculate the velocity of two objects after a collision?

To calculate the velocity of two objects after a collision, you will need to use the conservation of momentum equation, which states that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the sum of the masses of the two objects multiplied by their respective velocities must be equal before and after the collision. By rearranging this equation, you can solve for the final velocity of the objects.

2. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

An elastic collision is one in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning that no energy is lost during the collision. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost to other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. Inelastic collisions are more common in real-world scenarios, while elastic collisions are idealized situations.

3. How does the mass of an object affect the outcome of a collision?

The mass of an object plays a significant role in determining the outcome of a collision. The larger the mass of an object, the more momentum it has, and the harder it is to change its velocity. This means that in a collision between two objects with very different masses, the lighter object will experience a greater change in velocity than the heavier object.

4. What is the difference between a head-on collision and an oblique collision?

In a head-on collision, the two objects are moving directly towards each other, while in an oblique collision, the objects are moving at an angle to each other. The angle of impact in an oblique collision can affect the final velocities of the objects, as well as the direction in which they move after the collision.

5. How do I calculate the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision and is calculated by taking the ratio of the relative velocities of the two objects before and after the collision. This value will always be between 0 and 1, with 1 representing a perfectly elastic collision and 0 representing a completely inelastic collision.