1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with comparsion

1. Oct 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

k is a constant where k1 < k2

Is the relation between the two <. > or = to:

A = nk1 + k2n

B = nk2 + k1n

3. The attempt at a solution

I did this problem said that A > B, and I got it wrong. I am having a hard time telling if nki or kin is greater.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2008 #2
    Do you mean *n* is a constant? I don't see a k. Also, you have given us insufficient information to solve the problem because depending on k1 and k2 relative to n the answer will change. For example, n=10, k1=1, k2=2 and n=2, k1=10, k2=11.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  4. Oct 24, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If n=1 then A>B. If n=2, k1=1 and k2=2 then A>B. If n=2, k1=3 and k2=4, then A<B. Do you know something about n you aren't telling us? What makes you think there is a definite relation between the two?

5. Oct 26, 2008 #4
    Sorry about that, n can be any number, does not have to be fixed like the k's. So, for example nk1 < nk2.

6. Oct 26, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That doesn't help. You've already been given examples where A<B and B>A.

7. Oct 26, 2008 #6
    I think that k's are fixed value for a give problem, and that as n-> infinite that one of those will be >, <, or =. I think that is what gear2d is asking.

8. Oct 26, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You might be right. If that's the real question, I wish Gear2d would clarify.

9. Oct 27, 2008 #8
    Thanks Ad2d you said what I wanted to say. So how would one approach this problem?

10. Oct 27, 2008 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Figure out which term is dominant. Take n^k1 and k2^n. The logs are k1*log(n) and n*log(k2). Which is larger as n gets large? I.e. what is lim n->infinity (k1*log(n))/(n*log(k2))? Is it zero or infinity? Think l'Hopital.

11. Oct 27, 2008 #10
    Thank you, that makes sense. Don't know why I did not see that. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?