1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Complex Exponentials

1. Mar 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello all, I'm currently reading through "Vibrations and Waves" by A.P French. I'm not very used to these type of books, so I could use a little bit of help right now:

Show that the multiplication of any complex number z by e is describable, in geometrical terms, as a positive rotation through the angle θ of the vector by which z is represented, without any alteration of its length.

2. Relevant equations

z = a + jb

j = an instruction to perform a counterclockwise rotation of 90 degrees upon whatever it precedes.

cosθ + jsinθ = e

j2 = -1

3. The attempt at a solution

so z(e)
    = (a + jb)(cosθ + jsinθ)
    = acosθ + (asinθ + bcosθ)j - bsinθ
    = (acosθ - bsinθ) + (asinθ + bcosθ)j

Now I'm supposed to show that the above equation is a positive rotation through the angle θ of the vector by which z is represented, without any alteration of its length.

First, I'm going to prove that the length was not altered:

Original length of z, Lo:

Lo2 = a2 + b2
    Lo = √(a2+b2)

Length of new z, L1:

L12 = (acosθ - bsinθ)2 + (asinθ + bcosθ)2
    L12 = a2 + b2
    L1 = √(a2+b2)

Therefore Lo = L1

Now, How do I prove the rotation? I'm not too strong with trig, maybe that's the problem? Can somebody help me out? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Have you considered that your complex number can also be described in exponential form using the same relationship:

cosθ + jsinθ = e

if R = |a2 + b2| is the magnitude of the complex number, and ##\phi## = atan(b/a) is the argument of the complex number (equivalent vector's direction angle), then the vector r for the complex number can also be represented by:

r = R(cos##\phi## + jsin##\phi##) = R ej##\phi##

Now go ahead and multiply by your e :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook