How to Convert Angular Frequency to Complex Frequency?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of complex frequency and how it relates to sinusoidal waves with a certain phase in time. The term "complex frequency" is not a different or special kind of frequency, but rather a way of representing the inter-relation of magnitude, phase, and frequency in the s-plane. The conversation also mentions the use of phasors and Laplace transforms in understanding and converting complex frequency. The individual seeking help is using a vector network analyzer and trying to obtain dielectric permitivities.
Markel
Help with "Complex Frequency"

Hello all,

I need some help with this concept. I don't really see how a frequency can be complex. I am using a vector network analyzer over a range of a few GHz, however the model I'm using requires as a complex frequency as input. How do I convert an angular frequency to complex frequency?

By searching other posts, I found that complex frequency s = σ + jω, where σ is related to the decay rate. But how do I find this decay rate from a machine which is simply operating X Hz?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org

Are you really looking at a vector frequency like F(ωt) = Fo [cos(ωt) + j·sin(ωt)]?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I don't think so.

I simply have a model for the dielectric properties of a test material, and the model is explicit in s, the complex frequency. However I've only measured some reflection coeficients at specific frequencies, and I have until now only ever heard of real frequencies.

I've seen complex frequencies used when computing thermal properties of materials (specifically, the Hamaker constant).

Markel said:
Hello all,

I need some help with this concept. I don't really see how a frequency can be complex. I am using a vector network analyzer over a range of a few GHz, however the model I'm using requires as a complex frequency as input. How do I convert an angular frequency to complex frequency?

By searching other posts, I found that complex frequency s = σ + jω, where σ is related to the decay rate. But how do I find this decay rate from a machine which is simply operating X Hz? Thanks,

Complex frequency may be misleading because it includes more information than just frequency. You have to consider it in the context of sinusoidal waves with a certain phase in time. Complex frequency is not a different or special kind of "imaginary frequency", the only frequency that is physical is real-number frequency; the phase and magnitude information is affected by this complex component. The s-plane includes magnitude and phase information in addition to frequency information, and complex numbers are a good way of representing the inter-relation of all these quantities. It is just given this name "complex" because complex numbers are how we represent the same values, magnitude - phase - frequency, in the frequency and time domain (see Euler's ... identity/formula I can't remember which is which).

Last edited:

Ok, that makes sense.

So how do I construct the complex frequency from real frequency? Is there something like a Fourier transform?

Markel said:
Ok, that makes sense.

So how do I construct the complex frequency from real frequency? Is there something like a Fourier transform?

You should think of complex frequency as the s-plane or another complex domain. In fact, I don't really ever recall using the term complex frequency as a specific term during my studies, but I am not an expert. It seems very confusing to attach to that term. Let me be more specific, you will not find complex "imaginary frequency" information in the frequency domain that never shows up or hides itself from the time domain information that you experience as physically real.

Are you familiar with phasors? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phasor That should help you to get to the bottom of your problem. Can you express a phasor as a complex number, and then encode the phase,magnitude, and frequency of your signal into complex form? My guess is that your network analyzer wants to know all of this information rather than just frequency.

There is a guy on here called rbj that probably can give you an accurate and better answer, so maybe you should ask this in the EE forum.

Last edited:

Thanks for the help. At least now I know what to look for. So the article on S plane in wikipedia gives the following laplace transform:

[itex]{F(s) = \int_0^{inf} f(t)e^{-st}dt}[/itex]​

So if I have a constant frequency with time, I should get as F(s):

[itex]{F(s) = \int_0^{inf} \omega e^{-st}dt} = \frac{\omega}{s}[/itex]​

But now what is s?

actually, i never thought that the problem new electrical engineers (and students) usually are having was with "complex frequency", but was with "complex signals" and with "negative frequency".

i guess the concept of complex frequency might have some meaning in the context of exponentially damped (or increasing, in an unstable system) sinusoids. i guess you could say that this signal:

[tex] x(t) = e^{-\alpha t} \cos( \omega t ) [/tex]

has a complex frequency where [itex]\omega[/itex] might be considered to be the real part and [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the imaginary part.

is this what you're having trouble with?

Markel said:
Thanks for the help. At least now I know what to look for. So the article on S plane in wikipedia gives the following laplace transform:
[itex]{F(s) = \int_0^{inf} f(t)e^{-st}dt}[/itex]​
So if I have a constant frequency with time, I should get as F(s):
[itex]{F(s) = \int_0^{inf} \omega e^{-st}dt} = \frac{\omega}{s}[/itex]​

But now what is s?

I think you have confused the laplace transform. f(t) is a function of time, and so w is just a constant in your attempt. You just transformed a DC signal (with amplitude of w). This will not give you the complex representation of a sine with a frequency w.

Look at this, and find sin(wt) and cos(wt).
http://www.stanford.edu/~boyd/ee102/laplace-table.pdf

Markel said:
I am using a vector network analyzer over a range of a few GHz, however the model I'm using requires as a complex frequency as input.

Thanks,
Markel,
Can you provide the VNA model that you are using, and the specific setup item that you are trying to input. As mentioned above, you may be confusing complex frequency with complex frequency response. If you can show us exactly what you are trying to do we can help you sort it out.

Here is the VNA I'm using:

http://www2.rohde-schwarz.com/product/zvt8.html

And I'm trying to get the dielectric permitivities in relation to Y, the aperture admitance from this model.
[itex]\begin{equation} Y = \frac{\sum_{n=1}^{4}
\sum_{p=1}^{8}\hat{\alpha}(\sqrt{\epsilon_{r}})^{p}(sa)^{n}}{1+\sum_{m=1}^{4} \sum_{q=1}^{8}\hat{\beta}(\sqrt{\epsilon_{r}})^{q}(sa)^{m}}
\end{equation} [/itex]​
Where [itex]\ s = \sigma + i\omega[/itex] the complex frequency [itex]\ a[/itex] is the conductor radius, [itex]\hat{\alpha}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\beta}[/itex] are modeling parameters.
Thanks for the help.

I would back off a bit from your "real" problem and start by figuring out how to get the admittance parameters for a simple RCL circult from your VNA.

You need some sort of curve fitting process, to convert the measured "amplitude and phase response against frequency" into "poles, zeros and residuals" and thus turn the measurements into into an admittance function like Y(s) = s / (Ls^2 + Rs + 1/C).

Just browing some of the analyser guides, it's not too clear whether the VNA has the software to do that built in, or you need some other signal processing software (e.g. simething supplied with the analyser that runs on a PC).

The admittance function in your model is a ratio of low order polynomials, so it is of this general form, but it representing a network with several "resonant circuts", not just one.

I don't think you want to start researching how to do the curve fitting yourself, especially if you are starting from the level of "what is a complex frequency" - you shoudn't need to understand all the details of how the software works to use it.

Note, I'm more familiar with this in measuring mechanical vibrations, but the basic math is the same so the steps in the process must be similar.

Markel,
Sounds like you are measuring the permittivity of some substance using the open ended coaxial probe method. Is this correct?

DragonPetter said:
Look at this, and find sin(wt) and cos(wt).
http://www.stanford.edu/~boyd/ee102/laplace-table.pdf

So the transform according to what you sent is:
[itex] \sin{\omega t} \implies \frac{s}{s^{2} + \omega ^2} = \frac{1/2}{s - jw} + \frac{1/2}{s + jw} [/itex]

But I'm not really sure if the frequency generated by the VNA is a sine wave. Does someone know how to check this.

Also, I'm still confused as to what 's' is. Being that it's in the exponent of the e^{-st} it appears to be the inverse of some time constant of decay. Where do I find a value for s? If my signal is of constant amplitude, can I assume that s = 0 ?

the_emi_guy said:
Markel,
Sounds like you are measuring the permittivity of some substance using the open ended coaxial probe method. Is this correct?

Do you have much experience with this method? If so, I'd really love to pick your brain for a bit.

1. What is complex frequency?

Complex frequency refers to the frequency of an oscillating system where the frequency is represented in the complex number form, with a real part and an imaginary part. It is used to analyze systems with damping and resonance.

2. How is complex frequency related to normal frequency?

Normal frequency is the frequency of an oscillating system without any damping, while complex frequency takes into account the damping factor. Complex frequency is related to normal frequency through the relation: Complex frequency = Normal frequency + (Damping coefficient * i).

3. How is complex frequency used in signal processing?

In signal processing, complex frequencies are used to represent signals that are non-periodic or have a variable frequency. This allows for the analysis of signals that cannot be represented by a single sinusoidal function.

4. What is the significance of the imaginary part in complex frequency?

The imaginary part in complex frequency represents the rate of decay or amplification of the oscillating system. A positive imaginary part indicates amplification, while a negative imaginary part indicates decay. It is also used to determine the stability of a system.

5. How can complex frequency be visualized?

Complex frequency can be visualized on a complex plane, with the real part represented on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y-axis. The magnitude of the complex frequency can be represented by the distance from the origin, and the angle represents the phase shift of the oscillating system.