Help With Complex Numbers #2

In summary: I guess here ##x## is a complex number. In any case, you have a 9th degree polynomial that will have 9 complex roots. You need to find the one with the smallest argument. I.e. smallest ##\theta## in the polar form.Or, to be precise, the smallest non-zero argument. The smallest ##\theta## is zero for the root x = 0, but that wouldn't be a complex root.Or, to be precise, the smallest non-zero argument. The smallest ##\theta## is zero for the root x = 0, but that wouldn't be a complex root.You can find a general formula for the sum of a geometric series. If
jisbon
Homework Statement
NIL
Relevant Equations
NIL
--Continued--
4)
Take ##3+7i## is a solution of ##3x^2+Ax+B=0##
Since ##3+7i## is a solution, I can only gather :
##(z−(3+7i))(...)=3x2+Ax+B##
Not sure on how to go from here.
EDIT: I got A =18 and B=174, is this correct?
I recognized that since there's a 3, this means the other root must be a conjugate, hence
##(z-(3+7i))(z-(3-7i))##
##(z-3)^2-(7i)^2 =0##
##z^2+6z+58=0##
##3z^2+18z+174=0##

6)
Suppose ##z=2e^{ikπ}##and
##z^{n}=2^5 e^{iπ/8}##
Find k such that z has smallest positive argument?

I don't understand this question :/ For z to have smallest positive principal argument, what does it entail/mean?
EDIT: Tried again. Got the following:
##z^{n}=2^n e^{inkπ} = 2^5 e^{iπ/8}##
## nk = 1/8##
##5k =1/8##
##k = 1/40##?

7)
Let
##\sum_{k=0}^9 x^k = 0##
Find smallest positive argument. Same thing as previous question, but I guess I can expand to
##z+z_{2}+z_{3}+...+z_{9}=0##
##z=re^{iθ}##
##re^{iθ}+re^{2iθ}+re^{3iθ}+...##
What do I do to proceed on?
Cheers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jisbon said:
Homework Statement: NIL
Homework Equations: NIL

--Continued--

4)
Take ##3+7i## is a solution of ##3x^2+Ax+B=0##
Since ##3+7i## is a solution, I can only gather :
##(z−(3+7i))(...)=3x2+Ax+B##
Not sure on how to go from here.
EDIT: I got A =18 and B=174, is this correct?
I recognized that since there's a 3, this means the other root must be a conjugate, hence
##(z-(3+7i))(z-(3-7i))##
##(z-3)^2-(7i)^2 =0##
##z^2+6z+58=0##
##3z^2+18z+174=0##

I would take a more general approach to this. You are given that:

##3x^2 + Ax + B = 3(x - z)(x - \overline{z})##

Where ##z = 3 + 7i##.

Try expressing ##A, B## in terms of ##z## in general first. And see what you get.

PeroK said:
I would take a more general approach to this. You are given that:

3x2+Ax+B=3(x−z)(x−¯¯¯z)3x2+Ax+B=3(x−z)(x−z¯)

Where z=3+7iz=3+7i.

Try expressing A,BA,B in terms of zz in general first. And see what you get.
I got:

3x2+Ax+B=3(x2−x¯¯¯z−xz+z¯¯¯z)3x2+Ax+B=3(x2−xz¯−xz+zz¯)
Ax+B=−(3¯¯¯z+z)x+z¯¯¯zAx+B=−(3z¯+z)x+zz¯
SoA=−(3¯¯¯z+z)A=−(3z¯+z) and B=z¯¯¯zB=zz¯

jisbon said:
I got:

##3x^2+Ax+B = 3 (x^2 -x\overline{z}-xz+z\overline{z})##
##Ax+B= -(3\overline{z}+z)x+z\overline{z}##
So## A =-(3\overline{z}+z)## and ##B= z\overline{z}##

That's not quite right. You need to be more careful.

I am puzzled by your statement "since there's a 3, this means the other root must be a conjugate". The other root must be the complex conjugate of 3+ 7i, 3- 7i, because all coefficients are real. Because the leading coefficient is 3, the polynomial must be 3(x-(3+7i))(x- (3- 7i))= 3((x-3)- 7i)((x-3)+ 7i)= 3((x- 3)^2+ 49)= 3(x^2- 6x+ 58)= 3x^2- 18x+ 174.

PeroK said:
That's not quite right. You need to be more careful.
##Ax+B= -(3\overline{z}+3z)x+z\overline{z}##
So from here, I can easily get B since it's ##a^2+b^2##, which gives me 54.

jisbon said:
##Ax+B= -(3\overline{z}+3z)x+z\overline{z}##
So from here, I can easily get B since it's ##a^2+b^2##, which gives me 54.

You do need to be a lot more careful. I would get rid of the ##3## first:

##x^2 + \frac{A}{3}x + \frac{B}{3} = (x - z)(x - \overline{z})##

PeroK said:

Solving it, it seems my original answer was wrong. From your equation, I got A = -18 instead of 18. B is still 174 though

Likes PeroK
HallsofIvy said:
I am puzzled by your statement "since there's a 3, this means the other root must be a conjugate". The other root must be the complex conjugate of 3+ 7i, 3- 7i, because all coefficients are real. Because the leading coefficient is 3, the polynomial must be 3(x-(3+7i))(x- (3- 7i))= 3((x-3)- 7i)((x-3)+ 7i)= 3((x- 3)^2+ 49)= 3(x^2- 6x+ 58)= 3x^2- 18x+ 174.
Yea, I think I phrased myself wrongly haha :/

PeroK said:

Thanks for the help :) Mind checking 6? I understand that 6 and 7 have some similarities, but I can't seem to get 7 (if my 6 is even right)

jisbon said:
Solving it, it seems my original answer was wrong. From your equation, I got A = -18 instead of 18. B is still 174 though

The point is that there are advantages in getting a general expression:

##\frac{A}{3} = b = -(z + \overline{z}) = -2Re(z)## and ##\frac{B}{3} = c = z \overline{z} = |z|^2##

This allows you to read off the answers for whatever ##z## you are given. You let the algebra do the work, rather than fighting with specific numbers. In this case, ##z= 3 + 7i## was quite simple. But, if you'd been given ##z = 3.7 + 7.5i## or somthing even worse, then the benefits of deriving the expression generally become very significant.

Also, as you get more experienced, it's things like ##z + \overline{z} = 2 Re(z)## that ought to stick in your mind. That's when you become more fluent and confident. Hammering away with numbers all the time leads to little if any pattern recognition.

Likes Emmo Amaranth and jisbon
jisbon said:
6)
Suppose ##z=2e^{ikπ}##and
##z^{n}=2^5 e^{iπ/8}##
Find k such that z has smallest positive argument
I don't understand this question :/ For z to have smallest positive principal argument, what does it entail/mean?
EDIT: Tried again. Got the following:
##z^{n}=2^n e^{inkπ} = 2^5 e^{iπ/8}##
## nk = 1/8##
##5k =1/8##
##k = 1/40##?

I don't understand what this question is asking.

jisbon said:
7)
Let
##\sum_{k=0}^9 x^k = 0##
Find smallest positive argument. Same thing as previous question, but I guess I can expand to
##z+z_{2}+z_{3}+...+z_{9}=0##
##z=re^{iθ}##
##re^{iθ}+re^{2iθ}+re^{3iθ}+...##
What do I do to proceed on?
Cheers

I guess here ##x## is a complex number. In any case, you have a 9th degree polynomial that will have 9 complex roots. You need to find the one with the smallest argument. I.e. smallest ##\theta## in the polar form.

Or, to be precise, the smallest non-zero ##\theta##.

PeroK said:
I don't understand what this question is asking.
I guess here ##x## is a complex number. In any case, you have a 9th degree polynomial that will have 9 complex roots. You need to find the one with the smallest argument. I.e. smallest ##\theta## in the polar form.

Or, to be precise, the smallest non-zero ##\theta##.
For Q6, I'm confused by this too. Anyone else can shine a light on this? Haha

Regarding the last question,yes x is a complex number. how do I exactly find the smallest angle? Do I solve for x first in the equation?

Your solution to 6 is correct.

For 7 you have [tex]\sum_{k=0}^9 x^k= 0[/tex] and then [tex]z= re^{i\theta}[/tex] (surely, your "x" and "z" should be the same!) and then [tex]re^{i\theta}+ r^2e^{i\theta}+ r^3e^{i\theta}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex].

There are several things wrong with that! First, it starts with k= 1 rather than k= 0. When k= 0, [tex]r^0e^{i(0)\theta}= 1[/tex]. Also, [tex](re^{i\theta})^n= r^n e^{in\theta}[/tex]. You forgot the "n" exponent on r. Finally, the "[tex]\cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]" on the end implies the sum continues to infinity. This sum only goes to k= 9. You should have [tex]1+ re^{i\theta}+ r^2e^{2i\theta}+ r^3e^{3i\theta}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ r^9e^{9i\theta}[/tex].

However, the key point is that [tex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty x^k= 1+ x+ x^2+ x^3+ x^4+ x^5+ x^6+ x^7+ x^8+ x^9[/tex] is a geometric sum. Write [tex]S= 1+ x+ x^2+ x^3+ x^4+ x^5+ x^6+ x^7+ x^8+ x^9[/tex]. Then [tex]S- 1= x+ x^2+ x^3+ x^4+ x^5+ x^6+ x^7+ x^8+ x^9= x(1+ x+ x^2+ x^3+ x^4+ x^5+ x^6+ x^7+ x^8)[/tex]

Add and subtract [tex]x^9[/tex] inside the parenthese:
[tex]S- 1= x(1+ x+ x^2+ x^3+ x^4+ x^5+ x^6+ x^7+ x^8+ x^9- x^9)= x(1+ x+ x^2+ x^3+ x^4+ x^5+ x^6+ x^7+ x^8+ x^9)- x^{10}[/tex]. We can write that as [tex]S-1= xS- x^{10}[/tex] so that [tex]S- xS= S(1- x)= 1- x^{10}[/tex] so [tex]S= \frac{1- x^{10}}{1- x}[/tex]. With [tex]x= re^{i\theta}[/tex], [tex]x^{10}= r^{10}e^{10i\theta}[/tex] so [tex]S= \frac{1- r^{10}e^{10i\theta}}{1- re^{i\theta}[/tex].

• Wow
Likes jisbon
HallsofIvy said:
Your solution to 6 is correct.

For 7 you have [tex]\sum_{k=0}^9 x^k= 0[/tex] and then [tex]z= re^{i\theta}[/tex] (surely, your "x" and "z" should be the same!) and then [tex]re^{i\theta}+ r^2e^{i\theta}+ r^3e^{i\theta}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex].

There are several things wrong with that! First, it starts with k= 1 rather than k= 0. When k= 0, [tex]r^0e^{i(0)\theta}= 1[/tex]. Also, [tex](re^{i\theta})^n= r^n e^{in\theta}[/tex]. You forgot the "n" exponent on r. Finally, the "[tex]\cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]" on the end implies the sum continues to infinity. This sum only goes to k= 9. You should have [tex]1+ re^{i\theta}+ r^2e^{2i\theta}+ r^3e^{3i\theta}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ r^9e^{9i\theta}[/tex].

However, the key point is that [tex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty x^k= 1+ x+ x^2+ x^3+ x^4+ x^5+ x^6+ x^7+ x^8+ x^9[/tex] is a geometric sum. Write [tex]S= 1+ x+ x^2+ x^3+ x^4+ x^5+ x^6+ x^7+ x^8+ x^9[/tex]. Then [tex]S- 1= x+ x^2+ x^3+ x^4+ x^5+ x^6+ x^7+ x^8+ x^9= x(1+ x+ x^2+ x^3+ x^4+ x^5+ x^6+ x^7+ x^8)[/tex]

Add and subtract [tex]x^9[/tex] inside the parenthese:
[tex]S- 1= x(1+ x+ x^2+ x^3+ x^4+ x^5+ x^6+ x^7+ x^8+ x^9- x^9)= x(1+ x+ x^2+ x^3+ x^4+ x^5+ x^6+ x^7+ x^8+ x^9)- x^{10}[/tex]. We can write that as [tex]S-1= xS- x^{10}[/tex] so that [tex]S- xS= S(1- x)= 1- x^{10}[/tex] so [tex]S= \frac{1- x^{10}}{1- x}[/tex]. With [tex]x= re^{i\theta}[/tex], [tex]x^{10}= r^{10}e^{10i\theta}[/tex] so [tex]S= \frac{1- r^{10}e^{10i\theta}}{1- re^{i\theta}[/tex].
Hi there.
Thanks for taking your time to type this chunk out :0
Unfortunately, I don't really understand how the summation (##S= \frac{1- r^{10}e^{10i\theta}}{1- re^{i\theta}}##) can lead to finding the smallest argument :/

Hold on.
With the summation
(##S= \frac{1- r^{10}e^{10i\theta}}{1- re^{i\theta}}##)
Since it equates to 0, I can assume
##1- r^{10}e^{10i\theta}## = 0
##r^{10}e^{10i\theta}## = 1
##re^{i\theta}## = 1
Ok I'm stuck :/

jisbon said:
For Q6, I'm confused by this too. Anyone else can shine a light on this? Haha

Regarding the last question,yes x is a complex number. how do I exactly find the smallest angle? Do I solve for x first in the equation?

This looks considerably harder. My first thought is to look at the problem for lower orders of the polynomial. What happens for 3, 5, 7 and then finally 9? Is there some sort of pattern?

PeroK said:
This looks considerably harder. My first thought is to look at the problem for lower orders of the polynomial. What happens for 3, 5, 7 and then finally 9? Is there some sort of pattern?
Do you mean by ##r^2 e^{i2\theta}## , ##r^4 e^{i4\theta}## etc..? Not sure what you meant by pattern too

jisbon said:
Do you mean by ##r^2 e^{i2\theta}## , ##r^4 e^{i4\theta}## etc..? Not sure what you meant by pattern too

No, but it doesn't matter. Instead, think geometric series. That's the key.

PeroK said:
No, but it doesn't matter. Instead, think geometric series. That's the key.
I did learn that a summation of a GP is ##S= \frac{a}{1-r}##
The problem is I don't understand how does GP helps in solving this problem here o_O

jisbon said:
I did learn that a summation of a GP is ##S= \frac{a}{1-r}##
The problem is I don't understand how does GP helps in solving this problem here o_O

We can't do your homework for you. You have to be able to follow a line or argument for yourself. At the moment you demonstrate an ability to think only 1-2 steps. You need to get used to thinking further. It doesn't matter if it doesn't lead anywhere, you just rewind and try again.

You should spend maybe 15-30 mins on this, trying everything you can think of.

So far what I understood is:
##\sum_{k=0}^9 x^k= 0##
So yes I do know this is a GP equation where:
##S= \frac{a(1-r^n)}{1-r}##
I'm leaving out the k=0 where ##x^n =1## to make things easier later, so
Where ##a = x## , ##r = k## , ##n=9##
##S= 1+ \frac{x(1-k^9)}{1-k}##

jisbon said:
I'm leaving out the k=0 where ##x^n =1## to make things easier later, so

That's making it harder!

Think of properties of all n-th roots of unity.

WWGD said:
Think of properties of all n-th roots of unity.
Only property I could think of is that they will all sum to zero eventually :/

PeroK said:
That's making it harder!
If I used the original stuff, I will get:
##\frac{z^k (1-k)^9}{1-k}## = ##\frac{re^{ki\theta} (1-k)^9}{1-k}## = ##re^{ki\theta} (1-k)^8## = ##(1-k)^8## since k=0 for the first value. Think I made a mistake because it seems to far off from what @HallsofIvy provided

EDIT: Yep definitely made a mistake trying to figure out where.

Last edited:
Been thinking another approach. Since
##\sum_{k=0}^9 x^k= 0##
## z^9 + z^8 + z^7 + z^6 + z^5 + z^4 + z^3 + z^2 + z + 1 =0##
##re^{9i\theta} + re^{8i\theta} + re^{7i\theta} + re^{6i\theta} + re^{5i\theta} + re^{4i\theta} + re^{3i\theta} + re^{2i\theta} + re^{i\theta} + 1 = 0##
EDIT: Thought further on this, does this mean:

##cos9\theta + cos8\theta + cos7\theta + cos6\theta + cos5\theta + cos4\theta + cos3\theta + cos2\theta + cos\theta + 1 = 0 ##
and
##sin9\theta + sin8\theta + sin7\theta + sin6\theta + sin5\theta + sin4\theta + sin3\theta + sin2\theta + sin\theta = 0 ##
?

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
I am puzzled by your statement "since there's a 3, this means the other root must be a conjugate". The other root must be the complex conjugate of 3+ 7i, 3- 7i, because all coefficients are real.
I could not find anything that said that A and B were real. I think we are assuming it because otherwise there is no unique solution and the problem would not be a very good one. (Or it is stated somewhere earlier that I could not find. In these multiple threads, I could never find the full original statement of the problem.)

Last edited:
jisbon said:
Only property I could think of is that they will all sum to zero eventually :/If I used the original stuff, I will get:
##\frac{z^k (1-k)^9}{1-k}## = ##\frac{re^{ki\theta} (1-k)^9}{1-k}## = ##re^{ki\theta} (1-k)^8## = ##(1-k)^8## since k=0 for the first value. Think I made a mistake because it seems to far off from what @HallsofIvy provided

EDIT: Yep definitely made a mistake trying to figure out where.

First, you could always look up the sum of a geometric series. Second, you really should be able to do it for yourself. Third, @HallsofIvy already did it for you.

In any case, you have:

##1 + x + \dots + x^9 = \frac{1-x^{10}}{1-x}##

That's the key.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real part and an imaginary part. They can be written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i representing the square root of -1.

2. How do I add or subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, simply add or subtract the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (5 + 4i) = (3 + 5) + (2i + 4i) = 8 + 6i.

3. Can complex numbers be multiplied or divided?

Yes, complex numbers can be multiplied and divided. To multiply complex numbers, use the FOIL method just like with binomials. To divide complex numbers, multiply the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator, then simplify.

4. How do I find the conjugate of a complex number?

The conjugate of a complex number a + bi is simply a - bi. In other words, the conjugate has the same real part but the imaginary part is the opposite sign.

5. What are some applications of complex numbers?

Complex numbers are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are particularly useful in analyzing and solving problems involving alternating currents, oscillations, and vibrations. They are also used in computer graphics and signal processing.