Help with Compression forces

In summary, to find the magnitude of the compression force supported by each crutch, you need to set the weight in the y direction equal to the normal force plus the force exerted by the crutch in the y direction. This will give you the normal force, which is equal to the compression force. Therefore, the magnitude of the compression force for each crutch is 80 lbs.
staz87

Homework Statement

p4-51alt.gif

The person in Figure P4.51 weighs 160 lb. Each crutch makes an angle of = 18.0° with the vertical (as seen from the front). Half of the person's weight is supported by the crutches, the other half by the vertical forces exerted by the ground on his feet.

find the magnitude of the compression force supported by each crutch (lbs)

Homework Equations

F=mg
Ax=Acos(18)
Ay=Asin(18)

The Attempt at a Solution

I broke down the 40 lbs being supported by each crutch. I found the Weight in the y direction to be 38.04 lbs I entered this in and the site says I am within 10% of the correct answer. I figured the normal force for this would be 40 lbs, but I am unsure as to how the forces interact to form a compression force. Is it not the supported weight + the normal force? Help greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

You are on the right track! The normal force is actually the force that the ground exerts on the person's feet to support their weight. In this case, since half the person's weight is being supported by the crutches, the normal force would be half of the person's weight (80 lbs). The compression force is the force that the crutches exert on the person's arms to support their weight. This force is equal and opposite to the normal force, so it would also be 80 lbs for each crutch.

To find this using the equations you listed, you can use the fact that the sum of forces in the y direction must equal zero (since the person is not accelerating in the y direction). So you can set the weight in the y direction equal to the normal force plus the force exerted by the crutch in the y direction. This would look like:

Fy = 0 = N + Asin(18)

Solving for N (normal force) would give you 80 lbs. Then, since the force exerted by the crutch is equal and opposite to the normal force, the compression force would also be 80 lbs.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

First, let's clarify the difference between tension and compression forces. Tension forces occur when an object is being pulled or stretched, while compression forces occur when an object is being pushed or compressed. In this case, the crutches are exerting a compression force on the person, as they are supporting his weight and pushing against him.

To find the magnitude of the compression force supported by each crutch, we can use the concept of equilibrium. Since the person is standing still, the forces acting on him must be balanced. This means that the vertical forces (in the y-direction) must add up to zero.

We know that half of the person's weight (80 lbs) is being supported by the crutches, and the other half is being supported by the ground. This means that the normal force exerted by the ground on each foot is also 80 lbs.

Now, let's look at the forces acting on the person in the y-direction. We have the weight (160 lbs) acting downwards, and the normal force (80 lbs) acting upwards. The crutches are also exerting a vertical force, which we can break down into its x and y components using trigonometry. The x-component of the crutch force will cancel out with the x-component of the weight, leaving only the y-components to add up to zero.

So, we can set up the following equation:

80 lbs + A*sin(18°) = 160 lbs

Solving for A, we get A = 160 lbs / sin(18°) = 467.85 lbs.

Since this is the total force exerted by both crutches, the magnitude of the compression force supported by each crutch would be half of this value, or approximately 233.93 lbs.

Hope this helps!

1. What are compression forces?

Compression forces are a type of force that acts on an object by pushing or squeezing it from opposite sides towards each other. This type of force can cause an object to become shorter or more compact.

2. How is compression force different from tension force?

Compression force and tension force are opposite types of forces. While compression force acts by pushing an object together, tension force acts by pulling an object apart.

3. What are some examples of compression forces in everyday life?

Some common examples of compression forces in everyday life include pushing down on a spring, sitting on a chair, or stacking objects on top of each other. Building structures, such as bridges and skyscrapers, also experience compression forces from the weight of the materials and gravity.

4. How is compression force measured?

Compression force is measured in units of newtons (N) using a force meter or a spring scale. The amount of compression force applied to an object can also be calculated by multiplying the force by the distance the object is compressed.

5. How can compression forces be minimized or managed?

Compression forces can be minimized or managed by using materials that are able to withstand high amounts of pressure, such as reinforced concrete or steel. Proper design and structural support can also help distribute the compression force evenly, preventing any one area from being overloaded. In some cases, additional support or bracing may be needed to strengthen the structure against compression forces.