1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with conic intersections

1. Feb 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello all, I am searching for help with conic intersections and i have a question I would like to ask.

-Consider the hyperbola x^2-y^2 = 1. A line in R^2 (All real numbers squared) can intersect this hyperbola in one of four ways: not at all, at one point crossing the hyperbola, at one point tangent to the hyperbola, and at two points. For each of the four cases, find a line which is an example of that case.

I've been doing some conic intersection example and am starting to understand the basic to intermediate stuff. However, I have no idea where to start with this one. Would someone please give me some pointers?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2012 #2
    "A line in R^2 (All real numbers squared) "

R^2 is usually thought of as the space of all points (x,y), not the set of all squared numbers, so the equation of the line in the plane R^2 is ax+by=c.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook