Help with Conservation of Energy

In summary, the 5 kg object falls 4 m to the floor and has a speed of -5 m/s. The 3 kg object falls faster and has a speed of -7 m/s.
moodyflower
I need help setting up this problem. I need help setting up the equation, knowing what cancels and what doesn't and what values to use.

Two objects are connected by a light string passing over a light, frictionless pulley as in Figure P5.63 (see attached file). The 5 kg object is released from rest at a point 4 m above the floor. (a) determine the speed of each object when the two pass each other. (b) determine the speed of each object at the moment the 5 kg object hits the floor, (c) how much hgiher does the 3 kg object travel after the 5 kg object hits the floor?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 438
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show us what you have done so far so we can help you. Think about the energy transfers (potential-kinetic and vice versa) that occur here.

I just need help setting up the equation. I am not sure what cancels out of the conservation equation and what doesn't. I know the initial kinetic energies cancel out because it's not moving yet, but other than that I am not sure what to do.

The easiest way is Sirus' energy conservation idea:
1) Regard the two weights as point masses, and compute their total potential energy at initial time t=0. Since at t=0, neither mass is moving, you have therefore found the total MECHANICAL energy of the system.
Hint: It is easiest to use the floor as the reference level for the potential energy.
2) Since the string length remains constant, this clearly implies that the two objects' speed must be equal to each other at all times in the descent (but not their velocities; they are the negative of each other)
Use conservation of energy plus 1)+2) to answer a)+b).

In order to answer c), assume that the speed of the non-colliding object does not change during the collision period.
Use your results from b) and conservation of the still-moving object's mechanical energy to determine its maximal height.

questions

Can you tell me if this equation that I came up with for part (a) is correct? m2gh2 initial= 1/2 (v)squared(m1+m2)+ mgh final.

What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

Why is conservation of energy important?

Conservation of energy is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. It also allows us to use energy efficiently and sustainably, reducing waste and minimizing the negative impact on the environment.

How can I contribute to conservation of energy?

There are many ways to contribute to conservation of energy, such as using energy-efficient appliances, turning off lights and electronics when not in use, and using renewable energy sources. It is also important to educate others about the importance of conservation of energy and the small actions we can take to make a difference.

What are the consequences of not conserving energy?

Not conserving energy can lead to depletion of natural resources, environmental degradation, and climate change. It can also result in higher energy costs and potential energy shortages.

What are some current conservation of energy initiatives and technologies?

There are many current initiatives and technologies aimed at conserving energy, such as energy-efficient building designs, renewable energy sources like solar and wind power, and the development of electric and hybrid vehicles. Governments and organizations around the world are also implementing policies and programs to promote energy conservation.