How Do I Solve This Complex Contour Integral Using the Residue Theorem?

• Thread starter quasar_4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary: Pi \frac{ln(e^{i*theta}) d(theta)}{e^{3i*theta/4} (1+e^{i*theta})} Now, we can use the fact that ln(e^{i*theta}) = i*theta, and the integral becomes: i*\int_0^\Pi \frac{i*theta d(theta)}{e^{3i*theta/4} (1+e^{i*theta})} = \int_0^\Pi \frac{theta d(theta)}{e^{3i*theta/4} (1+e^{i*theta})} To solve this integral, we can use the substitution u =
quasar_4

Homework Statement

Show that [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{ln(x) dx}{x^{3/4} (1+x)}[/tex] = - [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] Pi^2

Homework Equations

Residue theorem - integral = 2*Pi*i * sum of residues

The Attempt at a Solution

I am so lost. I don't even know where to start. I don't understand how to construct my contour. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to avoid. I don't understand how they're finding the residue. I don't get anything about this. Except that I think (!) I can show that |z*f(z)| goes to 0 as z--> 0 and --> 0 as z --> infinity. They do this in the book, but I don't really understand why (something to do with contour radii disappearing in extreme limits). I really need a better text (we have a review book that has a PAGE on this, so it's not enough, but I don't know what books are good).

All I can think of is do some kind of substitution where z = exp(i*theta), but I don't know beyond that... the examples in my book are very confusing. I really need help. My professor is out of the country for a few weeks and gave us this to work on. I don't know what to do without being able to get help :cry:

Any help, even just pointing to a good lucid text, would be so appreciated. This is a physics class, not a math class, so it would have to be reading that was clear enough to someone without complex analysis background. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, don't worry, I can help you with this problem. First of all, let's start with the substitution you mentioned. Let z = exp(i*theta), then dz = i*exp(i*theta) d(theta). Now we can rewrite the integral as:

\int \frac{ln(x) dx}{x^{3/4} (1+x)} = \int \frac{ln(z) dz}{z^{3/4} (1+z)}

Now, we can use the residue theorem to solve this integral. First, we need to find the poles of the function, which are the values of z that make the denominator equal to 0. In this case, we have a pole at z = -1, since 1+z = 0 when z = -1.

Next, we need to find the residues at these poles. The residue at z = -1 is given by:

Res(-1) = \frac{ln(-1) dz}{(-1)^{3/4}(1+(-1))} = \frac{ln(-1) dz}{(-1)^{3/4}(0)} = -\frac{i*\Pi}{2}

Now, we can use the residue theorem, which states that the integral of a function around a closed contour is equal to 2*Pi*i * sum of residues inside the contour. In this case, since we only have one pole inside the contour, the integral can be written as:

\int \frac{ln(z) dz}{z^{3/4} (1+z)} = 2*Pi*i * Res(-1) = 2*Pi*i * (-\frac{i*\Pi}{2}) = -\Pi^2

However, we still need to take into account the substitution we made earlier. Remember that z = exp(i*theta), so we need to change the limits of integration accordingly. When z = 0, theta = 0, and when z = \infty, theta = \Pi. Therefore, the integral can be written as:

\int \frac{ln(x) dx}{x^{3/4} (1+x)} = \int_0^\Pi \frac{ln(exp(i*theta)) i*exp(i*theta) d(theta)}{exp(i*theta)^{3/4} (1+exp(i*theta))}

1. What is a contour integral?

A contour integral is a type of line integral that is used to calculate the area under a curve in the complex plane. It involves integrating a complex-valued function along a specific path or contour in the complex plane.

2. How is a contour integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral is used to calculate the area under a curve in a two-dimensional space, while a contour integral is used to calculate the area under a curve in the complex plane. Additionally, a contour integral has an extra dimension, as it involves integrating along a specific path or contour in the complex plane.

3. What is the importance of contour integrals in mathematics?

Contour integrals are important in complex analysis, as they allow for the evaluation of complex-valued functions and the calculation of residues, which are crucial in many areas of mathematics, including physics, engineering, and statistics.

4. How can I solve a contour integral?

Solving a contour integral involves using different techniques, such as the Cauchy-Goursat theorem, the Cauchy integral formula, and the residue theorem. It is important to choose the appropriate technique based on the function being integrated and the contour being used.

5. What are some common challenges when working with contour integrals?

Some common challenges when working with contour integrals include choosing the correct contour, calculating the residues, and dealing with singularities or branch cuts in the integrand. It is also important to be familiar with the properties and theorems related to contour integrals to successfully solve them.