1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with contour integrals!

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{ln(x) dx}{x^{3/4} (1+x)}[/tex] = - [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] Pi^2

2. Relevant equations

Residue theorem - integral = 2*Pi*i * sum of residues

3. The attempt at a solution

I am so lost. I don't even know where to start. I don't understand how to construct my contour. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to avoid. I don't understand how they're finding the residue. I don't get anything about this. Except that I think (!) I can show that |z*f(z)| goes to 0 as z--> 0 and --> 0 as z --> infinity. They do this in the book, but I don't really understand why (something to do with contour radii disappearing in extreme limits). I really need a better text (we have a review book that has a PAGE on this, so it's not enough, but I don't know what books are good).

All I can think of is do some kind of substitution where z = exp(i*theta), but I don't know beyond that... the examples in my book are very confusing. I really need help. My professor is out of the country for a few weeks and gave us this to work on. I don't know what to do without being able to get help :cry:

Any help, even just pointing to a good lucid text, would be so appreciated. This is a physics class, not a math class, so it would have to be reading that was clear enough to someone without complex analysis background. Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?