1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with convolution bounds

1. Feb 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    avKHkBD.jpg
    Mainly concerned with part (a). Here's the answer:

zOob5lf.jpg
    I understand where the answers inside the bracket came from, but I don't understand how they got their bounds (-infinity to 3, 3 to 5, and 5 to infinity)

2. Relevant equations
    x is the impulse function here so y(t) = ∫h(τ)x(t-τ)dτ [-∞,∞]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since x was chosen to be the impulse function, I start by reflecting it across the y-axis and then shifting it by t to get the graph x(t-τ):
    tnByHNQ.png
    (minor mistake in my graph here: that τ-5 should be t-5 and the τ-3 should be t-3)

I then start "sliding" this graph into h(τ):

1aDAcaD.png
    And this is where my confusion starts. If I perform the integration it'll be:

∫e^(-3τ)dτ [0, t-3]

and I get the answer they have for when 3 < t ≤ 5

So basically my question is why is it 3 < t ≤ 5 here?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't understand your method of 'sliding'.
    I wrote out the integrand as ##(u(t-3-\tau)-u(t-5-\tau))u(\tau)e^{-3\tau}.d\tau##. It is clear that this vanishes outside ##t-3>\tau>t-5##. Write the resulting integral.

4. Feb 16, 2015 #3
    I'm using the "flip and shift method" like here: http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~jiracek/DAGSAW/4.2.html

I think I may understand the bounds now though.
    In the picture I have illustrated where the integrand is from 0 to t-3, it's only valid when t-5 < 0 and t - 3> 0. In other words, 3 < t ≤ 5.

When I slide it in some more so that t-5 is now included under the graph h(τ), the integrand would be from t-5 to t-3, and it's then valid from t = 5 to infinity since h(τ) goes on forever

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted