Understanding Cos and Sin: Tips for Using Trigonometry in Physics Problems

• Thread starter chemboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cos Sin
In summary: In the second example, the skateboarder is going down an incline and the triangle is drawn as a left angled triangle. The acute angle labeled as theta is the angle of the incline. The cosine is the ratio of the opposite side/hypotenuse and the sinine is the ratio of the adjacent side/hypotenuse. With this knowledge, you can always determine when to use which function.
chemboy
Im having an issue of when to use Cos and Sin.

When calculating Force (Normal and Frictional) with multiple demension problems you are typically given the angle of the incline.

When trying to calculate for Fgx (or basically x) I would think to use cos(theta) and when dealing with Fgy (or basically y) I would think to use sin(theta).

Problem is my trig is 13 years rusty, and I really only need to know enough to work with these physics problems. Where I thought the above was correct, the textbook had two examples and x and y in one question was calculated using cos and sin (for x and y respectively) and then the other question sin and cose where used to solve for (x and y).

Its throwing me through hoops now (maybe the difference was the shape of the triangle).

Any direction or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is about a skateboarder going down an incline so the book draws the triangle as a left angled triangle in the second example (if this is the proper name for this), so does this reverse the laws of cos and sin??

It all depends on which of the triangle's acute angles is labeled theta. In general, you need to remember that the sine is the ratio of opposite side/hypotenuse and the cosine is the ratio of the adjacent side/hypotenuse. The adjacent and opposite sides are identified with respect to the angle labeled as theta. With this knowledge you will always be able to determine when to use which function, and simply changing the labels will not throw you for a loop.

What is the definition of cosine and sine?

Cosine and sine are two trigonometric functions that are used to calculate the ratio of the sides of a right triangle. Cosine is the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse, while sine is the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse.

What is the relationship between cosine and sine?

The relationship between cosine and sine is that they are complementary functions, meaning that they are used together to calculate the angles and sides of a right triangle. They are also inversely related, meaning that the cosine of an angle is equal to the sine of its complementary angle.

How are cosine and sine used in real-world applications?

Cosine and sine are used in many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and astronomy. They are used to calculate and predict the behavior of waves, sound, and light. They are also used in navigation and in the design of structures such as bridges and buildings.

What are the common identities associated with cosine and sine?

Some common identities associated with cosine and sine include the Pythagorean identity, which states that the square of the cosine of an angle plus the square of the sine of the same angle is equal to 1. Another common identity is the double angle identity, which states that the cosine of twice an angle is equal to the square of the cosine of the angle minus the square of the sine of the angle.

How can I improve my understanding and use of cosine and sine?

To improve your understanding and use of cosine and sine, it is important to practice solving problems involving these functions. You can also study the various identities and properties associated with them, and try applying them to different real-world scenarios. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or attending a workshop on trigonometry can also be beneficial.