1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Coulomb's Law

1. Feb 23, 2008 #1
    !!Coulomb's Law!!

So I have already solved this one before, but I was redoing it fir practice when I encountered something that is troubling me. Depending on how I choose to solve my two equations, I get different results. Surely I am doing something wrong, but I cannot see it.

Two identical conducting spheres, fixed in place, attract each other with an electrostatic force of .108 N when their center-to-center separation is 50 cm. The spheres are then connected by a thin conducting wire. When the wire is disconnected, the spheres repel each other with an electrostatic force of .036 N. Of the initial charges on the spheres, with a positive net charge, what was the (a) negative charge of one of them and (b) the positive charge of the other?

Now I have used conservation of charge for after they connect and I end up with two equations and two unknowns:

[tex]F_e=\frac{kq_1q_2}{r^2}\Rightarrow q_1q_2=3.00(10^{-12})[/tex] (1)

[tex]F_e'=k\frac{(\frac{q_1+q_2}{2})^2}{r^2}\Rightarrow q_1+q_2=2.00(10^{-6})[/tex] (2)

Attempt 1:

If I solve (2) for q_1 then [itex]q_1=2(10^{-6})-q_2[/itex]

plugging the above in to (1) [itex] -q_2^2+2(10^{-6})q_2-3(10^{-12})=0[/itex] gets me a nonreal answer.

Attempt 2:

BUT if I solve (1) for q_1 then [itex]q_1=\frac{3(10^{-12})}{q_2}[/itex] and plugging that into (2) I get [itex]q_2^2-2(10^{-6})q_2-3(10^{-12})=0[/itex] which solves correctly.

I am consistently of by a sign in the first attempt. Can anyone see what the problem is?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2008 #2
    Wouldn't that be + (plus) 3e-12? (Resulting in an equivalent expression to than in attempt 1.)
  4. Feb 23, 2008 #3
    No. Attempt 2 is correct. Attempt 1 is not.
  5. Jun 4, 2008 #4
    Awaking this thread. I just went back to try this again and have the same problem... so conceptually, something is off.
  6. Jun 4, 2008 #5

Homework Helper

Hi Saladsamurai,

In your original post you have an error in equation 1. There is then another mathematical error in method 2 that counteracts the error in equation 1 and gives the right answer.

For your equation 1, you have:

[tex]F_e=\frac{kq_1q_2}{r^2}\Rightarrow q_1q_2=3.00(10^{-12})[/tex]

but that is not right. The formula for Coulomb's law is normally given in terms of magnitudes:

[tex]F_e=\frac{k |q_1||q_2|}{r^2}[/tex]

and so you get:

|q_1 q_2|=3 \times 10^{-12}

You know that either q1 or q2 is negative, and the other is positive, so your equation 1 should be:

q_1 q_2 = - 3 \times 10^{-12}

In your method 2, the quadratic equation you get is the correct equation to get; however, it is not what you get from your original equations 1 and 2 in your post. If you use your original equations, the [itex] 3\times 10^{-12}[/itex] term turns out to be positive, which gives the same (nonreal) answer as method 1.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?