Which courses should I choose for my final year in mechanical engineering?

• Thread starter Colby_OSU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary, the speaker is a final year mechanical engineering student who needs to choose two courses out of automatic control systems, mechanical vibrations, and manufacturing processes. They are seeking professional opinions on which courses would better prepare them for the industry after graduation. They mention that material courses have been their least focused subject in college. It is suggested that mechanical vibrations is an important course and may be required in their curriculum. The speaker thanks SteamKing for confirming their belief that vibrations is an important course, although all three options are electives for their program.
Colby_OSU
I am enrolling for my final year in mechanical engineering. I am faced with a decision to choose two of these three courses; automatic control systems, mechanical vibrations, and manufacturing processes. I am wanting professional opionons on which courses could better prepare me for industry after I graduate. Also, material courses have been my least focused through college.

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the courses you should take is mechanical vibrations. In fact, this might be a required course in your curriculum.

Likes Colby_OSU
Thank you SteamKing, I figured vibrations is probably one of the more important. In regards to it being required, all three classes are electives for my program.

What factors should I consider when selecting courses?

When selecting courses, it is important to consider your academic goals, career aspirations, and personal interests. You should also think about the requirements for your major or degree program, the level of difficulty of the courses, and any prerequisites that may be necessary. It can also be helpful to speak with your academic advisor for guidance.

How do I know which courses are required for my major?

You can typically find a list of required courses for your major in your university's course catalog or on the department's website. Your academic advisor can also provide you with this information. It is important to make sure you are taking all the necessary courses to fulfill the requirements for your degree.

What should I do if a course I want to take is full?

If a course you are interested in is full, you can try to get on the waitlist or speak with the professor to see if they can make an exception and allow you to enroll. It is also a good idea to have backup courses in mind in case your first choice is not available.

How many courses should I take each semester?

The number of courses you should take each semester will depend on your personal preferences, academic workload, and other commitments. It is important to consider how much time you can dedicate to studying and attending classes, as well as how many credits you need to complete each semester to stay on track for graduation.

Can I change my course selection after the semester has started?

It is possible to change your course selection after the semester has started, but it may depend on your university's policies and deadlines. It is best to speak with your academic advisor or the registrar's office for guidance on making changes to your schedule. Keep in mind that adding or dropping courses may affect your financial aid or graduation timeline.