Solve for A using Cramer's rule with given k and K | QM problem help

In summary, using Cramer's rule, A was determined to be \frac{K + ik}{-K + ik}. By multiplying both the numerator and denominator by -K - ik, the result is now in standard form and has a magnitude of 1.
Reshma
This is from a QM problem. A & B are the unknowns, k and K are given and [itex]i = \sqrt{-1}[/itex]. Use Cramer's rule to find A and show that |A|2 = 1.

[tex]A - B = -1[/tex]
[tex]ikA - KB = ik[/tex]

I applied Cramer's rule to determine A:

[tex]A = \frac{\left |\begin{array}{cc} -1 & -1 \\ ik & -K \end{array}\right|}{\left |\begin{array}{cc} 1 & -1 \\ ik & -K \end{array}\right|}[/tex]

So, I am left with:
[tex]A = \frac{K + ik}{-K + ik}[/tex]

I am stuck here, because this nowhere resembles the result I want to prove. Just guide me...

Physics news on Phys.org
Whats the problem? That looks correct, and it has magnitude 1.

You might want to put [tex]A = \frac{K + ik}{-K + ik}[/tex]
in "standard form" by multiplying both numerator and denominator by -K- ik.

Ah, how silly of me :biggrin:. Thanks, HallsofIvy! I got it.

1. What is Cramer's rule?

Cramer's rule is a method used to solve a system of linear equations by using determinants.

2. How does Cramer's rule work?

Cramer's rule involves calculating the determinants of the coefficient matrix and the matrices formed by replacing each column with the values from the constant term. The solutions can then be found by dividing these determinants.

3. What is the role of k and K in Cramer's rule?

In Cramer's rule, k and K represent the coefficients and constant terms of the linear equations, respectively. These values are used to form the coefficient matrix and to calculate the determinants.

4. Can Cramer's rule be used for any system of linear equations?

No, Cramer's rule can only be used for systems of linear equations with the same number of equations and unknown variables. Additionally, the determinant of the coefficient matrix must not be equal to 0.

5. Are there any limitations to using Cramer's rule?

One limitation of Cramer's rule is that it can become computationally intensive for larger systems of equations. Additionally, if the coefficient matrix has a determinant of 0, then Cramer's rule cannot be used to solve the system.