Find the Value of X in the Curve Equation y = 3x - x^3/2 | Helpful Tips Included

• Thread starter jinx007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, we are trying to find the value of x when the curve equation y = 3x - x^3/2 equals to 0. After some discussion, it is recommended to work with the equation x^3 - 6x = 0 and factor the cubic expression to avoid losing the solution x=0. This is a better strategy compared to rewriting the equation as x^3/2 = 3x, which results in losing the solution x=0.
jinx007
A curve equation is y = 3x - x^3/2

find the value of X when y=0

please help me i don't know how to proceed..!

Physics news on Phys.org

0 = 3x - x3/2
x3/2 = 3x

tell me if you still need help after that

thrill3rnit3 said:
0 = 3x - x3/2
x3/2 = 3x

Yes infact its there that i am stuck..!

thrill3rnit3 said:
0 = 3x - x3/2
x3/2 = 3x

i want to know how to find the value of x

jinx007 said:
i want to know how to find the value of x

x3/2 = 3x

[STRIKE]Hint -- remember that in working with equations, you want to do the SAME thing to both sides of the equation, while working to simplify everything. What operation can you do to both sides of this equation to get rid of an x on both sides...?[/STRIKE]

EDIT -- oops, see better hint later by Mark44

Last edited:

Don't forget the case x=0 though.

thrill3rnit3 said:
0 = 3x - x3/2
x3/2 = 3x

Writing the equation as x3/2 = 3x is NOT a good strategy. Instead, work with x3 - 6x = 0 (equivalent to the one you started with) and factor the cubic expression.

They both yield the same answers, except that you lose the solution x=0 if you do the first method. I'm sorry if I forgot to make that clear.

thrill3rnit3 said:
They both yield the same answers, except that you lose the solution x=0 if you do the first method. I'm sorry if I forgot to make that clear.
That's why factoring is a better strategy - you don't lose solutions.

1. How do I find the equation of a curve?

The equation of a curve can be found using a variety of methods, depending on the type of curve. Some common methods include using the slope-intercept form, point-slope form, or the general form of a quadratic equation. If you are given a set of points on the curve, you can also use regression analysis to find the equation.

2. What is the difference between a linear and a nonlinear curve?

A linear curve has a constant slope and can be represented by a straight line, while a nonlinear curve has a varying slope and cannot be represented by a straight line. Linear curves follow the equation y = mx + b, while nonlinear curves follow more complex equations such as y = ax^2 + bx + c.

3. Can I use a calculator to find the equation of a curve?

Yes, most scientific calculators have built-in functions for finding the equation of a curve. You can enter the coordinates of the points on the curve and use the regression function to find the equation.

4. How do I plot a curve based on its equation?

To plot a curve based on its equation, you can use a graphing calculator or graphing software. Simply input the equation and the program will plot the curve for you. Alternatively, you can manually plot points by substituting different values for x and solving for y.

5. Can I use a curve equation to predict future values?

Yes, if the curve represents a relationship between two variables, you can use the equation to make predictions about future values. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of these predictions depends on the accuracy of the data used to create the curve.