1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with DE problem and seperation of variables

1. Apr 30, 2005 #1
    i found the DE for a problem, and it was y'(t) = .06 - y/1040

and then the problem gave me the following hint:

Find the amount of sugar after t minutes. Note: When you solve by separation of variables, keep the coefficient of y on the right side and bring over to the denominator on the left side an expression of the form (y - some constant).

what does this mean???? can anyone actually show me how to do this?? thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2005 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

EDIT: Of course, you can do it with separation of variables, I just wasn't thinking. See StatusX's post below.

1) Take the derivative again, so y'' = (-1/1040)y'. You get y' = Ce(-t/1040), and you can integrate this to find y = De(-t/1040) + E, and then plug this back into the original DE and solve for D in terms of E, or vice versa. You will be left with one unknown, since no initial conditions are specified.

2) Find the solution to the associated homogeneous equation, y'(t) = -y/1040, let's call that solution ch(t), where c is a co-efficient that can vary (i.e. ch(t) will be a solution to the homogeneous equation for any real c). Then, find any particular solution p(t). The constant function p(t) = 1040/0.06 will do the trick. Your answer will be y = ch + p.

This is generally true. If you have an n-th order differential equation (so it includes the n-th derivative, whereas this is a 1st order equation since it only includes up to the 1st derivative), you will have n linearly independent homogeneous solutions, h1, h2, ..., hn. Then, if you know any particular solution p, the general solution will be:

c1h1 + c2h2 + ... + cnhn + p

for any choice of c1, ..., cn. This is obviously a family of solutions, but if you look at all possible choices of c1, ..., cn, then this will give you all possible solutions.

3) Look at the equation as y'(t) + a(t)y(t) = b(t), where a(t) = 1/1040 and b(t) = 0.6. Your solution will be:

[tex]\frac{\int u(x)b(x)\, dx + C}{u(x)}[/tex]*

where

[tex]u(x) = \exp \left (\int a(x)\, dx\right )[/tex]

This is also true in general, if you have an equation of the form y' + ay = b. All solutions will be defined by * for all choices of C.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  4. Apr 30, 2005 #3

StatusX

Homework Helper

[tex]dy/dt = 0.06 - y/1040 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dy}{0.06 - y/1040} = dt [/tex]

[tex] \int \frac{dy}{0.06 - y/1040} = \int dt [/tex]

[tex] -1040 ln(0.06 - y/1040) = t + C [/tex]

and so on

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?