1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with derivative of

1. Sep 30, 2004 #1
    Derivative of square root:
    1) Use derivative rule (f(x) = f(x+h) - f(x) / h) to find square root of (6x-4)

I got: 6 / ((square root of 6x+6h-4) + (square root of 6x-4))
    but is this in the simpliest form? I thought you can't have a square root in the denominator.?.

2) (derivative) 3 / (x+1)

I got 1 but the I got it wrong and I tried redoing it but still got it wrong. Can someone please help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2004 #2

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Maybe it's just me, but this question doesn't seem to make any sense at all.

First, check for the answer doing the easy way.
    You're given this:

[tex]3(x + 1)^{-1}[/tex]

so the derivative is this:

[tex]3(-1)(x + 1)^{-2}(1)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-3}{x^2 + 2x + 1}[/tex]

Now to actually do the problem the way you're supposed to, it's just a matter of add/subtracting fractions

[tex]\frac{\frac{3}{x + h + 1} - \frac{3}{x + 1}}{h}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{3(x + 1) - 3(x + h + 1)}{(x + h + 1)(x + 1)(h)}[/tex]

If you keep working at it, you eventually will get the right answer :wink:
    (and yes, I actually did get to the answer working from the formula above)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2004
  4. Sep 30, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Perhaps you meant find the derivative of square root of (6x-4)?

Your main problem is that in "6/((square root of 6x+6h-4) + (square root of 6x-4))" you've left out an important part: the limit as h-> 0.

if f(x)= √(6x-4), then f(x+h)= √(6x+ 6h-4) and so the "difference quotient" is [itex] \frac{\sqrt{6x+6h-4}-\sqrt{6x-4}}{h}[/itex]. Since you want to be able to cancel that h in the denominator try "rationalizing the numerator" by multiplying numerator and denominator by [itex]\sqrt{6x+6h-4}+\sqrt{6x-4}[/itex]. In the numerator we get the "difference of two squares", 6x+6h-4- 6x+4= 6h. In the denominator we have the complicated [itex]h\sqrt{6x+6h-4}+\sqrt{6x-4}[/itex] but that's okay: the difference quotient is now [itex]\frac{6h}{h\sqrt{6x+6h-4}+\sqrt{6x-4}}[/itex] and we can cancel the "h"s to get [itex]\frac{6}{\sqrt{6x+6h-4}+\sqrt{6x-4}}[/itex]. Now take the limit as h-> 0 to get [itex]\frac{6}{2\sqrt{6x-4}}[/itex].

f(x)= 3/(x+1) so f(x+h)= 3/(x+h+1) and the difference quotient is [itex]\frac{\frac{3}{x+h+1}-\frac{3}{x+1}}{h}[/itex]. To subtract those fractions in the numerator, you have to get the common denominator: x+1 and x so we have [itex]\frac{\frac{x+1- (x+h+1}{x(x+h+1}}{h}[/itex]
    That gives [itex]\frac{-h}{hx(x+h+1}= \frac{-1}{x(x+h+1)}[/itex]
    Now take the limit as h goes to 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?