Designing a Safe and Simple Enrichment Object for Elephants at the National Zoo

In summary, a civil engineering student is seeking advice from mechanical engineers on creating an enrichment object for elephants at the national zoo. The idea involves a system of pulleys with a bucket and a heavy object, but safety concerns such as controlled lowering and preventing tangling need to be addressed. Other suggestions include using a lever with a tipping mechanism or an eddy-current brake to avoid wear on the rope. However, there are also concerns about the potential danger of ropes and pulleys for the elephants. The student is open to suggestions and considering simpler alternatives.
mlec
Hello!
I am a civil engineering student and have been tasked with creating an enrichment object for elephants at the national zoo in DC. I don't know much about pulleys, and am wondering if there are some mechanical engineers out there who could give me some hints on how to achieve this!
My idea is for a system of one (or more) pulleys. On one end of the rope would be a bucket and on the other, a large heavy object (such as log). The goal is this: once an elephant lifts the log the bucket will be lowered so that another elephant could grab the goodies inside the bucket.
I need a system that will allow the bucket to be lowered at controlled rate, so that it will be safe for the elephants/zoo keepers. I also need to prevent the bucket from getting too high and tangled in the system.

Is this at all possible, and what are your ideas?

Thanks SO much!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like an interesting project.
Do you have any ideas of your own?
What research have you done?

I would say this: you will want to tighten the pulley so that it will come down slow and controlled but not so tight that MR. Elephant can't pick up the log. or what would be better is that you could have a samll hole that the rope (bucket side) goes through that ever so slightly smaller than the rope (for restriction) and so the bucket doesn't go past the designated point. :partytime: (p.s., and why does the other elephant get all the goodies?)

You could do away with the pulley system all together and go with a long lever mounted up high attached to a weighted object. Basically a seesaw. :smile:

You could also presumably make this lever out of the log. You could make it so the bucket doesn't have to come all the way down. Just include a tipping mechanism at a point which the bucket can not pass.

Last edited:
you can use a damper (which can be many things) to control the free-swing rate of the system. this could be a teflon block that the rope has to pass through where the block provides some friction. constant force of the damper can be spring assisted, good until the teflon block wear away to nothing, etc.

An eddy-current brake (at a wheel supporting a rope) would avoid wear on the rope. Braking directly at the rope sounds dangerous - at some point it will fail, and bucket and/or log fall down.

The restriction for the bucket can be independent of this brake.

mfb said:
An eddy-current brake (at a wheel supporting a rope) would avoid wear on the rope. Braking directly at the rope sounds dangerous - at some point it will fail, and bucket and/or log fall down.

The restriction for the bucket can be independent of this brake.
good pints.

or what about just a friction pad on the wheel axle, like a spring loaded brake pad which provided friction to make it harder to just free wheel.

I personally think the use of pulleys and ropes in an elephant enclosure could be dangerous for the animal

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...03334F448D126E0D552303334F448D126&FORM=VRDGAR

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...3031FA48733CE3C4B8023031FA48733CE&FORM=VRDGAR

not that the idea wouldn't work but there are other safety concerns aside from falling buckets and breaking ropes.

gjonesy said:
You could also presumably make this lever out of the log. You could make it so the bucket doesn't have to come all the way down. Just include a tipping mechanism at a point which the bucket can not pass.

The lever method I spoke of could be made safe by adding an air shock to the weighted end of the lever so that the lever comes down slowly and controlled it would have only a few ridged mechanical parts and so could stand up to a lot of punishment without failure. No rope for the animal to get tangled up in. the log would always have a gap under it so it would be less of a pinch hazard.

Some times simple is better.

Last edited:

1. How do I come up with a design idea?

To come up with a design idea, start by researching similar projects and gathering inspiration. Brainstorm and sketch out your ideas, and don't be afraid to think outside the box. Collaborate with others and gather feedback to refine your idea.

2. How do I choose the right materials for my design project?

Choosing the right materials for your design project depends on several factors such as the purpose of the project, budget, and desired aesthetic. Consider the durability, cost, and availability of materials before making a decision. It's also helpful to test the materials beforehand to ensure they meet your project's requirements.

3. How do I create a budget for my design project?

To create a budget for your design project, start by estimating the cost of materials and any external services you may need. Consider the complexity of the design and the time it will take to complete. Don't forget to factor in unexpected expenses and leave room for potential changes or revisions.

4. How do I effectively communicate my design ideas to others?

To effectively communicate your design ideas, use visual aids such as sketches, diagrams, and 3D models. Be clear and concise in your explanations and provide examples or references when possible. Consider the audience and tailor your communication style to their level of understanding.

5. How do I ensure my design project is successful?

To ensure the success of your design project, set clear goals and objectives from the beginning. Communicate effectively with all stakeholders and gather feedback throughout the process. Stay organized and on top of deadlines, and be open to making revisions and improvements along the way. Don't be afraid to ask for help or collaborate with others when needed.