1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Dielectrics

1. Jan 4, 2009 #1
    Hi. I have a problem in trying to find the field [tex] \vec E [/tex] in the following situation:
    I have an infinite charged plane, with charge density [tex] \sigma [/tex], and two dielectrics, like in picture:
    Now, if i think of [tex] \vec D [/tex] being orthogonal to the charged plane, using Gauss law i get [tex] \vec D = \frac{\sigma}{2} \vec k [/tex], then i get the fields [tex] \vec E [/tex]in the dielectrics: [tex] \vec E_1 = \frac{\sigma}{2\varepsilon_0 k_1} \vec k [/tex] and [tex] \vec E_2 = \frac{\sigma}{2\varepsilon_0 k_2} \vec k [/tex].. but, because of [tex] \oint \vec E \cdot d\vec x = 0 [/tex], I obtain [tex] E_{t_1} = E_{t_2}[/tex] , where [tex] E_{t_i}[/tex] is the tangential (to the contact surface of dielectrics) component of [tex] \vec E [/tex] in dielectric [tex] i [/tex]. But [tex] E_{t_1} = \|\vec E_1}\| \ne \|\vec E_2\| = E_{t_2}[/tex].

What is wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2009 #2

Science Advisor

Re: Dielectrics

The basic equation is E1=E2. Then find D1 and D2. There will be a sigma1 and silgma2.
  4. Jan 4, 2009 #3
    Re: Dielectrics

In the problem [tex]\sigma[/tex] is fixed :shy:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?