How do I differentiate this equation for a test tomorrow?

In summary: So y'=\frac{1}{x} which we also knew by common sense.But this formula works in general and it's a very powerful one e.g. when a=10, then y'=\frac{1}{xln10} which is the formula for getting the derivative of log base 10 of x. It's a very nice and easy formula.In summary, we used the product rule and chain rule to differentiate the equation y=(x-1)^2(6^x). However, there is a faster way to differentiate called logarithmic differentiation which involves taking the natural logarithm of both sides and using the properties of logarithms. This yields the same answer as using the product and chain rule.
Morphayne
I need help differentiating this equation:

y=(x-1)^2(6^x)

What I have (I went wrong somewhere):

dy/dx = (x-1)[(x-1)(6^x)]

=(x-1)[6^x(1+ x ln6 - ln6)

=(x-1)6^x(1+ x ln6 - ln6)

So;

My final answer: (x-1)6^x(1+ x ln6 - ln6)

Answer in the textbook: (x-1)6^x(2+ x ln6 - ln6)

Please help. I need to understand this for a test tomorrow.

Physics news on Phys.org
y=(x-1)^2(6^x)

[tex]y=(x-1)^26^x[/tex] I am assuming this is what you want to differentiate with respect to x, right?

First the big structure tells us that we first need to use product rule, after that chain rule and so on, so:

[tex]y'=[(x-1)^26^x]'=[(x-1)^2]'6^x+(6^x)'(x-1)^2=2(x-1)6^x+6^xln6(x-1)^2=(x-1)6^x(2+xln6-ln6)[/tex]

This question is so much nicer and faster if you use a special trick called Logarithmic differentiation:
If [tex]f(x) = g(x) \cdot h(x)[/tex] Then [tex]\log f(x) = \log(g(x) h(x) ) = \log (g(x)) + \log (h(x)) [/tex] and so [tex] \frac{ f'(x)}{f(x)} = \frac{g'(x)}{g(x)} + \frac{h'(x)}{h(x)}[/tex].

So in this case:

[tex] \log y = \log (x-1)^2 + \log (6^x) = 2\log (x-1) + x \log 6[/tex]

[tex] \frac{y'}{y} = \frac{2}{x-1} + \log 6[/tex]

Now just multiply through by y.

Last edited:
Just in case the op isn't familiar how to differentiate logs in general:

[tex] log_ax=y<=>a^y=x[/tex]

Lets differentiate implicitly the last part:

[tex] y'a^ylna=1=>y'=\frac{1}{a^ylna}=\frac{1}{xlna}[/tex]

Now, if a=e then ln(e)=1.

What is differentiation?

Differentiation is the process of finding the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its independent variables. In simpler terms, it is a mathematical method used to determine how much a function changes when its input changes.

Why is differentiation important?

Differentiation is an essential tool in many fields of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. It allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of complex systems, make predictions, and solve real-world problems.

What are the different types of differentiation?

The most common types of differentiation are the derivative, the partial derivative, and the gradient. These methods are used to find the rate of change of a single variable, multiple variables, and vectors, respectively.

What are some applications of differentiation in science?

Differentiation is used in a wide range of scientific applications, including motion analysis, optimization, population dynamics, thermodynamics, and more. It is also a fundamental component of calculus, which is the basis of many scientific principles and laws.

Are there any challenges associated with differentiation?

While differentiation is a powerful tool, it can also be challenging to understand and apply correctly. Some common challenges include determining the appropriate method to use, dealing with complex functions, and interpreting the results in a meaningful way. Practice and a solid understanding of the underlying concepts can help overcome these challenges.