1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Dirac trace algebra

1. Mar 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This isn't a homework problem; it's just something I'm working on and I'm a little confused as to how to go about dealing with what I have. I have several traces of Dirac's gamma matrices, and I know that the trace of an odd number of gamma matrices is zero. So my first question is: does it matter *which* gamma matrices? For example, one of my traces has
    $$ \gamma_{\nu}\gamma^5\gamma^{\rho}\gamma^{\alpha}\gamma^{\sigma}\gamma^0\gamma^5\gamma^0\gamma^{\lambda}\gamma_{\mu}\gamma^{\beta} $$ Since each $$\gamma^5$$ is a product of 4 gamma matrices, altogether this would be a product of 17, which is odd. But some are $$\gamma^{\mu}$$, some $$\gamma^0$$ and some $$\gamma^5$$ and I'm just not sure what the rules are for this type of thing.

2. Relevant equations
    $$Tr (ABC) = Tr (CAB) = Tr (BCA)$$
    $$Tr (A +B) = Tr(A)+Tr(B)$$
    $$Tr(aA) = aTr(A)$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    I would think that this would, in fact, still be zero because there's an odd number of them. Otherwise I would probably use commutation/anticommutation relations to bring the $$gamma^0$$ and $$\gamma^5$$ together (respectively) to get unity, then just deal with the rest.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And there is your answer.

4. Mar 21, 2016 #3
    So does that mean that all the standard trace identies for gamma matrices (e.g. in Griffiths or Peskin Schroeder) hold for *any* gamma matrices, regardless of their index?

5. Mar 21, 2016 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As long as that index is 0, 1, 2, or 3. You will need to treat ##\gamma^5## differently.

6. Mar 21, 2016 #5
    Isn't the last one just a product of the first 4?

7. Mar 21, 2016 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes (up to a factor), so you need to treat it differently.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted