Dirac Trace Algebra: Which Gamma Matrices Matter?

In summary, the conversation discusses working with traces of Dirac's gamma matrices and the rule that the trace of an odd number of gamma matrices is zero. The question is whether this rule applies to any combination of gamma matrices, regardless of their index. The conversation also mentions using commutation/anticommutation relations to simplify the expression and the need to treat gamma^5 differently.
Maurice7510

Homework Statement

This isn't a homework problem; it's just something I'm working on and I'm a little confused as to how to go about dealing with what I have. I have several traces of Dirac's gamma matrices, and I know that the trace of an odd number of gamma matrices is zero. So my first question is: does it matter *which* gamma matrices? For example, one of my traces has
$$ \gamma_{\nu}\gamma^5\gamma^{\rho}\gamma^{\alpha}\gamma^{\sigma}\gamma^0\gamma^5\gamma^0\gamma^{\lambda}\gamma_{\mu}\gamma^{\beta} $$ Since each $$\gamma^5$$ is a product of 4 gamma matrices, altogether this would be a product of 17, which is odd. But some are $$\gamma^{\mu}$$, some $$\gamma^0$$ and some $$\gamma^5$$ and I'm just not sure what the rules are for this type of thing.

Homework Equations

$$Tr (ABC) = Tr (CAB) = Tr (BCA)$$
$$Tr (A +B) = Tr(A)+Tr(B)$$
$$Tr(aA) = aTr(A)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I would think that this would, in fact, still be zero because there's an odd number of them. Otherwise I would probably use commutation/anticommutation relations to bring the $$gamma^0$$ and $$\gamma^5$$ together (respectively) to get unity, then just deal with the rest.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maurice7510 said:
zero because there's an odd number of them.
And there is your answer.

So does that mean that all the standard trace identies for gamma matrices (e.g. in Griffiths or Peskin Schroeder) hold for *any* gamma matrices, regardless of their index?

Maurice7510 said:
*any* gamma matrices, regardless of their index?
As long as that index is 0, 1, 2, or 3. You will need to treat ##\gamma^5## differently.

Isn't the last one just a product of the first 4?

Maurice7510 said:
Isn't the last one just a product of the first 4?
Yes (up to a factor), so you need to treat it differently.

1. What is Dirac trace algebra?

Dirac trace algebra is a mathematical framework used to simplify and manipulate expressions involving matrices and vectors. It is based on the properties of the trace function, which calculates the sum of the diagonal elements of a matrix.

2. Why is Dirac trace algebra important?

Dirac trace algebra is important because it allows scientists to perform calculations involving matrices and vectors in a more efficient and organized manner. It is particularly useful in the field of quantum mechanics, where matrices and vectors are used extensively to represent physical systems.

3. How is Dirac trace algebra used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, Dirac trace algebra is used to simplify and manipulate expressions involving operators, which are matrices that represent physical observables. It allows scientists to perform calculations involving operators and their combinations, which are essential for understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

4. Can Dirac trace algebra be used in other fields besides quantum mechanics?

Yes, Dirac trace algebra can be used in other fields such as linear algebra, statistics, and computer science. It provides a powerful tool for manipulating and solving problems involving matrices and vectors, which are commonly used in various scientific disciplines.

5. Are there any limitations to Dirac trace algebra?

One limitation of Dirac trace algebra is that it only applies to finite-dimensional matrices. It cannot be used for infinite-dimensional matrices, which are often used in more advanced areas of mathematics and physics. Additionally, it may not be applicable to all types of matrices, such as those with non-commutative elements.