Help with discrete Mathematics

In summary, the argument involves proving the hypothesis by using logical equivalences and implications. The reasoning includes using De Morgan's law, double negation, and other logical laws to simplify the expression. However, the author is having trouble continuing and is seeking help.
catala
Hi!

I have an argument and I have to prove the validity of all possible ways.

I have proved by logical implication, tautology, contradiction and contrapositive, but the problem is reduced to prove the hypothesis by logical equivalences and implications.

The reasoning is as follows:

[P->(L->M)]^L^M -> ¬P

I've tried to do the following:

[P-> (L-> M)] ^ L ^ M

<=> [(P ^ L) -> M] ^ L ^ M {Export}

<=> (¬ ¬ P v L v M) ^ L ^ M {Involvement and Morgan}

From here not continue, and I've tried other ways and always came to the same and not continue.

Could anyone help me out?

Thanks! ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the De Morgan's law to simplify the expression. [P-> (L-> M)] ^ L ^ M<=> [(P ^ L) -> M] ^ L ^ M {Export}<=> (¬(¬P ^ ¬L) v M) ^ L ^ M {Involvement and Morgan}<=> [¬¬P v ¬¬L v M] ^ L ^ M {Double Negation}<=> [P v L v M] ^ L ^ M {De Morgan's Law}<=> (P v M) ^ L {Distributive Law}<=> (P v M) ^ (L ^ L) {Identity Law}<=> (P v M) ^ L {Idempotent Law}<=> ¬(P v M) v L {Implication}<=> ¬P ^ ¬M v L {De Morgan's Law}<=> ¬P v L {Distributive Law}<=> ¬P -> L {Implication}

1. What is discrete mathematics?

Discrete mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete structures, meaning structures that are finite, countable, or can be broken down into finite or countable pieces. It is used to study objects and phenomena that are distinct and separate, rather than continuous.

2. Why is discrete mathematics important?

Discrete mathematics is important because it is the foundation for many areas of computer science, including algorithms, data structures, and cryptography. It is also used in fields such as engineering, economics, and biology to model and analyze discrete systems.

3. What are some common topics in discrete mathematics?

Some common topics in discrete mathematics include set theory, combinatorics, graph theory, and discrete probability. These topics are used to study discrete structures and phenomena, such as networks, counting problems, and decision-making processes.

4. How can I improve my understanding of discrete mathematics?

To improve your understanding of discrete mathematics, it is important to practice solving problems and working through proofs. You can also read textbooks and online resources, attend lectures or workshops, and join study groups or online forums to discuss and learn from others.

5. What are some real-world applications of discrete mathematics?

Discrete mathematics has many real-world applications, such as designing efficient computer algorithms, optimizing transportation networks, and analyzing social networks. It is also used in cryptography to secure information and in game theory to model decision-making processes.