1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Double Integrals

1. Nov 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use symmetry to evaluate the given integral.
    SS_D 6-x+7y dA
    where D is the region bounded by the square with vertices (±5, 0) and (0, ±5).

2. Relevant equations
    Integrals

3. The attempt at a solution
    I worked it out and got 300. But I did it by integrating one half then the other and adding the two together. I am looking for someone to confirm rather my answer is correct of not and to show me how to do it using symmetry

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It think it's 600 isn't it? Hint: can you show that SS_D 6 is the same as your original integral using symmetry?

4. Nov 2, 2009 #3
    Yes. SS_D 6 is also 300. Does this mean my answer is right?

5. Nov 3, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So your answer to Dick's question, "can you show that SS_D 6 is the same as your original integral using symmetry?" is yes? How do you show it?

6. Nov 3, 2009 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, SS_D 6 isn't 300. How are you getting that? D is a 10x10 square. My hint was to show SS_D (-x) and SS_D 7y are zero. And then think about why.

7. Nov 3, 2009 #6
    SS_D 6 is 300 over the square. x goes from 0 to 5 and y goes from x-5 to 5-x. This is half of the square. This integral equals 150. You then multiply that by 2 to get the whole square. The answer is therefore 300. My answer is correct. Also, D is not a 10X10 square. It is a 5X5 square with its corners at (5,0), (0,5), (-5,0), and (0,-5).

8. Nov 3, 2009 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ah, you are right. I was drawing the wrong square. Sorry. The sides of the square actually have length 5*sqrt(2). But now can you see why the integral of (-x) or 7*y over the square will automatically vanish?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook