Help with Earbud Mod for Xperia Neo

• Thread starter ffp
  • Start date
In summary, the adapter may reduce the quality of the sound, but it is possible to modify the adapter to make it work. The adapter will also be difficult to work with, and may break.
ffp
Hi, I'll buy a new earbud to use with my smartphone, but i want it to have good quality and a button and mic to answer calls. As my phone is "old" (xperia neo, 2011) and usean old earbud audio jack (OMTP) instead of the new on (CTIA) i can't find a decent earbud with mic for it. So I'm thinking in using an adapter like this one:

http://store.griffintechnology.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/e/headphone_adapter-1.jpg [Broken]

So, does this reduce the sound quality? And what can i do about the length of the cable (adapter+earbud will be almost 2m), can i just reduce the earbud cable, cutting and solding back?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
ffp said:
Hi, I'll buy a new earbud to use with my smartphone, but i want it to have good quality and a button and mic to answer calls. As my phone is "old" (xperia neo, 2011) and usean old earbud audio jack (OMTP) instead of the new on (CTIA) i can't find a decent earbud with mic for it. So I'm thinking in using an adapter like this one:

http://store.griffintechnology.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/e/headphone_adapter-1.jpg [Broken]

So, does this reduce the sound quality? And what can i do about the length of the cable (adapter+earbud will be almost 2m), can i just reduce the earbud cable, cutting and solding back?

Breaking the cable and soldering it back will make it very fragile and it probably won't work well.

Instead consider doing some kind of cord wrapping like what is commonly done with electrical cords
by folding them up and then wrapping the remainder around the folds and through the loop at the end.

Here's one example where some made a wrapping frame:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cor...1%2Fwrapqarw-cord-wrap-by-to-mo-ni%2F;640;640

and here's a mummified version:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cor...ve.com%2Fmummy-headphone-cord-wrap%2F;500;358

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, i think this is the best solution. Maybe put it inside a retractable thing like the one used in pc mouses... I've seen someone do it in instructables website.

But wrap it very firmly won't damaged it? And what about the adapter? Does it reduce quality or the sound quality is related to speakers only?

ffp said:
Yeah, i think this is the best solution. Maybe put it inside a retractable thing like the one used in pc mouses... I've seen someone do it in instructables website.

But wrap it very firmly won't damaged it? And what about the adapter? Does it reduce quality or the sound quality is related to speakers only?

Dont wrap too firmly. I would make my smallest loops about the size of my smallest finger to be safe.

With respect to your adapter I can't say. My initial feeling is it will be okay since the length isn't too long.

The audio out is wired straight through the adapter, so should be unaffected. The internal microphone won't be the best.

The main quality problem with these cheap adapters is that there is usually 1 tiny ground wire that is common for the mic and audio (in the cable). Therefore there is crosstalk due to the audio running through ground causing a voltage on the mic input. It may or may not be an issue for you. (probably won't be ---- I use mine with a spectrum analyzer app so I can see the crosstalk.)

Also, they are usually pretty poorly built and will split apart at the first abuse.

I cut mine and soldered it at the connector and covered it with hot glue. Or, you could buy a connector at Radio Shack. Or you could split it apart and modify it internally. The wires are definitely hard to work with.

1. How do I modify my earbuds for use with my Xperia Neo?

The first step is to determine the type of connection your Xperia Neo uses for audio. If it has a 3.5mm headphone jack, you can simply purchase a standard 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable. If it uses a different type of connection, you will need to purchase an adapter that will allow you to connect your earbuds to your phone. Once you have the correct connection, simply plug in your earbuds and you should be good to go.

2. Can I use any type of earbuds with my Xperia Neo?

As long as your earbuds have the correct connection type for your Xperia Neo, they should work without any issues. However, it is always a good idea to check the specifications of your phone and earbuds to ensure compatibility.

3. Will modifying my earbuds affect sound quality?

In most cases, modifying your earbuds for use with your Xperia Neo should not have a significant impact on sound quality. However, if you are using an adapter or cable, it is possible that there may be some slight loss of sound quality. It is always a good idea to test out the modified earbuds and compare them to the original sound before making a final decision.

4. Do I need any special tools to modify my earbuds?

It depends on the specific modifications you are making. If you are simply using an adapter or cable, you will not need any special tools. However, if you are making more advanced modifications, such as rewiring the earbuds, you may need some basic tools such as wire cutters and soldering equipment.

5. Is modifying my earbuds for my Xperia Neo safe?

As long as you are careful and follow proper safety precautions, modifying your earbuds for your Xperia Neo should be safe. However, if you are not comfortable with making modifications yourself, it is always best to seek professional help or purchase earbuds that are specifically designed for your phone.

Back