Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with EES (take derivative from table)

1. Aug 29, 2011 #1
    I'm not sure if you're familiar with EES, but just in case I am asking here because I really have no idea what to do, as I've tried everything I could.

Basically, I want to calculate a partial derivative numerically (speed of sound) from a table of values.

I have a program that produces a table of pressures and specif mass and I want to take

[tex] \left( \dfrac{\partial p}{\partial \rho} \right)_s \approx \left(\dfrac{p_{i+1} - p_i}{\rho_{i+1} - \rho_i} \right) [/tex]

I've tried creating procedures, functions and stuff like that but I couldn't do anything. Here's basically what I have done most times:

Code (Text):
    PROCEDURE Vsound( : vel )

i:=0

REPEAT

i=i+1

a := tablevalue('rev';i;'p')
        b := tablevalue('rev';i+1;'p')
        c = tablevalue('rev';i;'rho')
        d = tablevalue('rev';i+1;'rho')

vel := (b-a)/(d-c)

UNTIL (i=1499)

END
    Basically I have a parametric table called "rev" with columns "p" and "rho" in which I have 1500 values for each.

Then later in the code, after writing stuff to calculate both p and rho, I call that procedure:

CALL Vsound(: vel)

Though it says that there is no value set for rho. I believe that's because rho is calculated within the program (p is pre-set), though I have no idea how to solve this problem.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted