Understanding Eigenvalues in Rotational Transformations: A False Assertion

• Thread starter DanielFaraday
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenvalues
It's determinant must be -1, right? But for a rotation it is 1.In summary, the statement "If Ttheta is a rotation of the Euclidean plane R2 counterclockwise through an angle theta, then T can be represented by an orthogonal matrix P whose eigenvalues are lambda1 = 1 and lambda2 = -1" is false. This is because rotations can be represented by linear transformations and orthogonal matrices, but the given representation would require trigonometric functions and would not result in the eigenvalues being 1 and -1.
DanielFaraday

Homework Statement

True/False

If Ttheta is a rotation of the Euclidean plane R2 counterclockwise through an angle theta, then T can be represented by an orthogonal matrix P whose eigenvalues are lambda1 = 1 and lambda2 = -1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Just checking to see if my thinking is right. I say false because the representation of T in orthogonal coordinates would require a transformation requiring trigonometric functions. This wouldn't be a linear transformation and therefore cannot be treated as an eigensystem.

Yes? No?

Physics news on Phys.org

The answer is false, but I can't figure out what you're trying to say for your reasoning. Rotations are linear functions of the plane, and can be represented my matrices. You can either consider determinants, or try to demonstrate no rotation can do what is proposed to the two eigenvectors

Using sines and cosines is still a linear transformation.

Think of it this way, what is the determinant of a matrix such that it's eigenvalues are -1,1?

What are eigenvalues and why are they important in mathematics?

Eigenvalues are a concept in linear algebra that represent the scalar values that scale eigenvectors. They are important because they help us understand the behavior of linear transformations and systems of differential equations.

How do I find eigenvalues?

To find eigenvalues, you need to solve the characteristic equation det(A-λI)=0, where A is the matrix and λ is the eigenvalue. This equation will give you the eigenvalues of the matrix.

What is the significance of the determinant in eigenvalue problems?

The determinant is used to find the eigenvalues of a matrix because it represents the scaling factor of the transformation represented by the matrix. It also helps us understand the behavior of the matrix and its eigenvectors.

Can real-world problems be solved using eigenvalues?

Yes, eigenvalues and eigenvectors have many applications in real-world problems. They are used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science to analyze and solve problems involving linear transformations and systems of equations.

What are some common methods for solving eigenvalue problems?

Some common methods for solving eigenvalue problems include the power method, the inverse power method, and the Jacobi method. These methods use different algorithms and techniques to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix.