Calculating Volume Charge Density for Electric Flux in a Box

In summary, the electric flux density out of a box is 18 C, and the volume charge density is d = pv * dv.
FatoonsBaby71

Homework Statement

The electric flux density in space is given as D = 2xy(ax)+x^2(ay) C/m^2. A box is given as: 0<=x<=1; 0<=y<=2;0<=z<=3 (m). It is found that the total electric flux out of the box is (Wo). The charges creating the electric flux density D are now removed and replaced by a sphere of radius a =0.2m centered at (0.2,0.2,0.2) m and charged with a uniform volume charge density d. It is found that the total electric flux out of the box again is (Wo). Find the volume charge density d.

Homework Equations

Double Intergral D * ds = Q (Gauss Law)
dflux = D* dS
Charge elements: Volume dQ = pv * dv

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i first found the total charge in side the box using gauss' law. Which resulted in 18 C. (Hope this is right!) Since we know that the flux is equal to the charge, I figured all i needed to do is use the equation dQ = pv * dv and solve for pv which is the volume charge density d. However how would I be able to do this, I can't divide dQ/dv = pv can I? Is this the logical way to go behind the problem??

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure why you are using differentials, since you are told that the density is uniform. Thus ρ = Q/V. What's the volume of that sphere?

(I didn't check your answer for the charge.)

Oh ok that makes sense. However, I wanted to check if I computed the charge correctly.
I had two double integrals...

The first double integral went from 0 to 3 then 0 to 2 of (2xy) * dy dz which resulted in 17 C
The second double integral went from 0 to 3 then 0 to 1 of x^2 * dx dz which resulted in 1 C for a total of 18 C... did I do that correctly?

Another quick questions now since there are no differentials involved is V just the volume of a sphere 4/3 pi r^3?

Thanks

FatoonsBaby71 said:
The electric flux density in space is given as D = 2xy(ax)+x^2(ay) C/m^2.
I assume that's:

[tex]\vec{D} = 2xy\hat{i} + x^2\hat{j}[/tex]

Right?

FatoonsBaby71 said:
Oh ok that makes sense. However, I wanted to check if I computed the charge correctly.
I had two double integrals...
There are six sides to consider, but several are obviously zero flux.

The first double integral went from 0 to 3 then 0 to 2 of (2xy) * dy dz which resulted in 17 C
Looks like you are doing the side where x = 1. So how did you get 17?
The second double integral went from 0 to 3 then 0 to 1 of x^2 * dx dz which resulted in 1 C
Looks like you are doing the side where y = 2. But what about the y = 0 side?

Another quick questions now since there are no differentials involved is V just the volume of a sphere 4/3 pi r^3?
Right.

Doc Al said:
I assume that's:

[tex]\vec{D} = 2xy\hat{i} + x^2\hat{j}[/tex]

Right?

There are six sides to consider, but several are obviously zero flux.

Looks like you are doing the side where x = 1. So how did you get 17?

Looks like you are doing the side where y = 2. But what about the y = 0 side?

Right.

[tex]\vec{D} = 2xy\hat{i} + x^2\hat{j}[/tex] is correct.

When you say that several are zero flux, I assume your referring to the flux in the z direction because there is no z component. Another thing that points out is the fact that the y component is x^2. Due to symmetry, I am assuming that both fluxes will cancel out. So that leaves us with just the x component. When doing the side when x = 1, I see that you plug in x for 1 and my result is 12 C which sounds reasonable. My real question is why do you plug in the x = 1?? How come we don't intergrate the way I was doing leaving the x in there.

Thanks for your help

FatoonsBaby71 said:
When you say that several are zero flux, I assume your referring to the flux in the z direction because there is no z component. Another thing that points out is the fact that the y component is x^2. Due to symmetry, I am assuming that both fluxes will cancel out. So that leaves us with just the x component.
All good.
When doing the side when x = 1, I see that you plug in x for 1 and my result is 12 C which sounds reasonable.
OK.
My real question is why do you plug in the x = 1?? How come we don't intergrate the way I was doing leaving the x in there.
I'm not sure what you mean. You can certainly leave the x there when you integrate, it's just a constant.

∫2xy dy dz = 2x ∫y dy dz

1. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the flow of an electric field through a given surface. It is a scalar quantity and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is electric flux calculated?

Electric flux is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the surface area vector. The formula is Φ=E⋅A, where Φ is electric flux, E is electric field, and A is surface area.

3. What is the significance of electric flux?

Electric flux is significant because it helps us understand the strength and direction of an electric field. It also allows us to calculate the amount of electric field passing through a given surface, which is useful in various applications such as circuit design and electromagnetic calculations.

4. How does the presence of a charge affect electric flux?

The presence of a charge affects electric flux by creating an electric field, which can then pass through a given surface. The magnitude and direction of the electric field will determine the amount and direction of electric flux.

5. What are some real-life examples of electric flux?

Electric flux can be observed in various real-life scenarios, such as the flow of electricity through a wire, the behavior of electric charges in a circuit, and the generation of electromagnetic waves. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of lightning and the Earth's magnetic field.