1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with electromagnetism

1. Apr 22, 2003 #1
    help! I need help with this homework problem.

--A line of positive charge is formed into a semicircle of radius R=60.0 cm. The charge per unit length along the semicircle is described by the expression [lamb]= [lamb]naught cos [the] . The total charge on the semicircle is 12.0 microcoulombs. Calculate the total force on a charge 3.00 microcoulombs at the center of curvature.--

The figure shows the semicircle with is center at the origin going from 0 to pi. [the] is the angle formed by dragging R clockwise from the positive y axis.

the answer in the book is -0.707Nj and I got -0.526N. Can someone please help me figure out how to properly go about solving this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2003 #2

consider the electric field at the center of the semicircle due to a little piece of the semicircle at angle θ. by symmetry, only the vertical component of this field contributes:

dEy = - 1/4πε0 cos θ dq/r2 = - 1/4πε0 cos θ λrdθ/r2 = - 1/4πε0 cos2 θλ0dθ/r

then integrate from π/2 to -&pi/2:

Ey = -λ0/4πε0r∫cos2 θ dθ = -λ0/8ε0r

the force on the charge is the Fy = qEy

we also need to solve for λ0.

Q = ∫dq = ∫λ0rcos θ dθ = 2rλ0

λ0 = Q/2r

finally
    Fy = -qQ/16ε0r2

plug in the numbers and you get -0.70588 N.

4. Apr 23, 2003 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Apr 23, 2003 #4
    oops. my bad.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?