1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with enthalpy

1. Feb 22, 2008 #1
    I am not sure how to find this... estimate the energy change that occurs when carbon monoxide and chlorine combine to make phosgene....

CO(g) + Cl2(g) ---> Cl2CO(g)

i have an idea of what to do,except i think its not the right way.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2008 #2
    They do not give enthalpies of formation or Bond dissociation energies?

4. Feb 22, 2008 #3
    Maybe you want to have a look to the thread " Enthalpy change and activation energy".

5. Feb 22, 2008 #4
    claudzterz9, you can do that by reacting CO and Cl2 in a calorimeter, by measuring temperatures before and after reaction.

6. Feb 22, 2008 #5
    take the bond energy values from your data booklet....

7. Feb 23, 2008 #6
    If your problem is to estimate it from given bond energies, as Kushal wrote, then in the reaction

CO(g) + Cl2(g) ---> COCl2(g)

1. You go from a triple bond in CO to a double bond between C and O in COCl2; so you have to compute this difference of energy.
    2. You loose a Cl-Cl bond and you gain 2 C-Cl bonds

So, calling E1 the energy of the triple bond between C and O, E2 the energy of double bond between C and O in phosgene, E3 the bond energy Cl-Cl and E4 the bond energy C-Cl, you have, as estimated reaction energy:

E2 - E1 + 2E4 - E3 ~ 128 kJ/mol with the data I've found (but remember there is quite variation on these kind of data).

Edit. The reaction enthalpy is the same but with sign changed.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  8. Feb 25, 2008 #7
    the answer u r looking for is -100 KJ/mol..........

how i got it is by lookin at the avg bond energies for the reactants and the sum for that is 1310 and then i lloked for the the sum of the avg bond energies for the product whih is 1410.....

subtract the 2 and you get -100 kj/mol

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?