Help with Equation involving BiLaplace

• Thread starter mariuspop
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a partial differentiation equation with the bilaplace operator and boundary conditions. The person is looking for a numerical solution and has tried using a polynomial approximation but is stuck with certain partial derivatives. They are seeking help or recommendations for books on this topic. A suggested approach is to use finite differences to approximate the derivatives, with different coefficients for different partial derivatives. Books like "Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations" can provide more information on this topic.
mariuspop
hello
i have a partial differentiation equation that look like this:

[tex]c_{1}\frac{\partial^{4}u}{\partial x^{4}}+c_{2}\frac{\partial^{4}u}{\partial x^{3}\partial y}+c_{3}\frac{\partial^{4}u}{\partial x^{2}\partial y^{2}}+c_{4}\frac{\partial^{4}u}{\partial x\partial y^{3}}+c_{5}\frac{\partial^{4}u}{\partial y^{4}} = s[/tex]

as u can se we have the bilaplace operator in 2 directions and those two terms that makes the eq. a bit heavier
s - is the source, c 1...5 - constants,
also we have boundary conditions
but
at this moment i m interested in finding a numerical solution to the above eq.
i tried with polynomial approximation, but i got stuck while concerning
[tex]\frac{\partial^{4}u}{\partial x^{3}\partial y}[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{\partial^{4}u}{\partial x\partial y^{3}}[/tex]

can someone help?
or
if possible can u recommend some books
thanks in advance

ps: my approach was done considering a 4 degree polynomial eq:
[tex]u = a+bx+cx^{2}+dx^{3}+ex^{4}[/tex]
in the [tex]u_{i}[/tex] 's vicinity
therefore we have [tex]u_{i-2}, u_{i-1}, u_{i+1}, u_{i+2}[/tex] as neighbors

[tex]u_{xxxx} = 24e[/tex]
and
[tex]e = \frac{1}{24h^{4}}(u_{i+2}-8u_{i+1}+14u_{i}-8u_{i-1}+u_{i-2})[/tex]

so [tex]u_{xxxx} = 24e[/tex]

how can i find [tex]u_{xxxy}, u_{xyyy} & u_{xxyy} [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
?The best way to find the partial derivatives is to use a numerical method like finite differences. You can use a four-point stencil (using 4 points around the center point u_{i}) to approximate the derivatives. For example, for u_{xxxx} you can use the following formula:u_{xxxx} = \frac{1}{h^{4}}(-u_{i-2} + 16u_{i-1} -30u_{i} + 16u_{i+1} - u_{i+2}) You can also use the same formula to approximate u_{xxxy}, u_{xyyy} and u_{xxyy}, but with different coefficients. For example, for u_{xxxy} you can use the following formula:u_{xxxy} = \frac{1}{h^{4}}(-u_{i-2,j} + 16u_{i-1,j} -30u_{i,j} + 16u_{i+1,j} - u_{i+2,j}) where j is the index of the y-direction. You can find more information about numerical methods for partial differential equations in books like "Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations" by Kincaid and Cheney.

What is the BiLaplace equation?

The BiLaplace equation, also known as the biharmonic equation, is a partial differential equation that describes the relationship between four variables. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model phenomena such as elasticity, fluid mechanics, and electrostatics.

How do I solve an equation involving BiLaplace?

To solve an equation involving BiLaplace, you will need to use advanced mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier transforms, or Green's functions. It is recommended to consult a textbook or seek help from a mathematician or physicist for guidance in solving these types of equations.

What are some applications of the BiLaplace equation?

The BiLaplace equation has many practical applications in various fields of science and engineering. It is commonly used to model the behavior of thin plates and membranes, as well as the flow of fluids and electromagnetic fields. It is also used in the study of elasticity, heat transfer, and diffusion processes.

Can the BiLaplace equation be solved analytically?

In most cases, the BiLaplace equation cannot be solved analytically and requires the use of numerical methods to approximate a solution. This is due to the complex nature of the equation and the presence of multiple variables. However, in some special cases, such as when the boundary conditions are simple, an analytical solution may be possible.

What are some common challenges in solving equations involving BiLaplace?

One of the main challenges in solving equations involving BiLaplace is the complexity of the equations and the need for advanced mathematical techniques. Additionally, determining appropriate boundary conditions can also be a challenge. Another difficulty is the potential for multiple solutions or non-uniqueness, which requires careful analysis and interpretation of the results.