1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with error calculations.

1. Nov 10, 2006 #1
    for my coursework I'm meant to do error calculations.

say i measured a distance between two things five times and got these results:

now i've got to use this distance for my calculations. would you recommend i use an average (mean)? i suppose that's a stupid question.

my teacher also says: "You would get an estimate of random error by repeating results enough times to get a standard deviation for the random error.
    "

so does this mean, for my example listed above, that i would say the error is (+-) value of s.d?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The standard devition is often used as an indication of the uncertainty of the measurement. You would use the average of your measurements. If the errrors are truly random, the values of a large number of measurements would be normally distributed and about 68% of the measurements would be within 1 s.d of the average.

http://www.has.vcu.edu/psy/psy101/forsyth/normal.gif

4. Nov 10, 2006 #3
    ok.

1) i'm sorry if this sounds stupid, but say i measure a weight on a balance that measures up to 2 dp. do i say the error is (+-)0.005.

5. Nov 10, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's what I would do :wink:

6. Nov 10, 2006 #5
    THANK YOU!

Also thanks for your help on my other thread, I got it.

7. Nov 10, 2006 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My Pleasure :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?