Help with experiment recording

In summary: Anyway, thank you very much!In summary, the experiment allowed the user to determine the value of n and the assumptions made.
Ziliba
Hello!
I need a little help! At school we did an experiment. We took cooper sulphate (CuSO4.5H2O) and heated it.Then we tried to see whether there are five moles of water to each mole of cooper sulphate.
I am asked to "start with a brief statement of how the experiment allowed you to determine the value of n and the assumptions made".
Maybe, someone can explain me what do they need from me? I don't understand.
Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ziliba said:
At school we did an experiment. We took cooper sulphate (CuSO4.5H2O) and heated it.

Was it a full procedure, or were there operations that you have not listed?

Nope.
We took hydrated cooper sulphate,measured it, heated it, measured again, calculated the mass of water, turned everything in moles, saw the ratio.

Borek said:
Was it a full procedure, or were there operations that you have not listed?
Nope.
We took hydrated cooper sulphate,measured it, heated it, measured again, calculated the mass of water, turned everything in moles, saw the ratio.

By my book "measurement" qualifies as an operation that is part of the procedure, you have not listed it in your original post - just just said "we heated it".

So, what kind of a measurement it was? Length? Time?

Borek said:
By my book "measurement" qualifies as an operation that is part of the procedure, you have not listed it in your original post - just just said "we heated it".

So, what kind of a measurement it was? Length? Time?

Sorry! I'm not used to writing about such things(
We measured the mass of hydrated sulphate, then we measured the mass of dehydrated cooper sulphate.
m(H2O)=m(hydrated CuSO4) - m(dehydrated CuSO4)
then we converted m(H2O) and m(dehydrated CuSO4) into moles.
then we found the ratio n(CuSO4):n(H2O)

So you assumed mass lost was that of the water lost, and based on this assumption you found molar ratio of water to copper sulfate?

Borek said:
So you assumed mass lost was that of the water lost, and based on this assumption you found molar ratio of water to copper sulfate?
...Yes:nb)

And you still don't know what to write? ;)

Borek said:
And you still don't know what to write? ;)

The experiment above allowed me to determine the ratio between the cooper sulphate and the water by measuring the mass of cooper sulphate before and after heating (We assumed that the mass lost was that of the water lost).

I just... Chemistry here is so different than in my country oo)

Would be enough for me.

Ziliba said:
I just... Chemistry here is so different than in my country oo)

Chemistry is the same, teaching can be different.

Borek said:
Chemistry is the same, teaching can be different.
No! Half of the things which are considered to be very important here are not even mentioned in my country!

Anyway, thank you very much! I'm happy now:)

What is the purpose of recording experiments?

The purpose of recording experiments is to document and track all the steps, procedures, and results of a scientific study. This is important for replication, analysis, and verification of the experiment's findings.

What should be included in an experiment recording?

An experiment recording should include the date and time of the experiment, detailed descriptions of the materials and methods used, observations and measurements taken, any deviations from the original procedure, and the final results and conclusions.

Why is it important to record experiments accurately?

Recording experiments accurately is crucial because it ensures the integrity and reliability of the results. Any errors or omissions in the recording can lead to incorrect conclusions and hinder the progress of scientific knowledge.

What are some best practices for recording experiments?

Some best practices for recording experiments include using a standardized format, keeping a clear and organized record, recording data in real-time, and using reliable and precise measurement tools.

How can technology aid in experiment recording?

Technology can aid in experiment recording by providing digital tools for data collection, storage, and analysis. This can save time and reduce human error in the recording process. Additionally, technology can also facilitate collaboration and sharing of experiment recordings among researchers.