Help with Experiment: How Packaging Prevents Egg Breakage

In summary, the mother is working on a science fair project with her 8 year old daughter. The daughter tried to break an egg without a parachute and the egg did not break. The daughter then tried to break the egg with a parachute and the egg did not break. The mother is looking for explanations for why the packaging helped keep the egg from breaking. The mother found terms with definitions related to acceleration, force, mass, and gravity.
kortayabs
Hi,
I understand that this forum is way over and above what I need, but I am desperate and cannot find the answer anywhere. Other forums make you pay and I don't want to do that. Please have some mercy on me!

I am a homeschooling mother and am working with my 8yr old on a science fair project. She is doing the dropping an egg and trying to get it not to break experiment. I don't know how much info you want, so I'll give you everything.

We put the egg in a small cardboard box with cottonballs and added a simple parachute made from paper and string. The egg broke when we dropped it. We tried again and she wanted to add a second parachute and also more cottonballs. We added almost an entire bag of cottonballs and the box was so full we could hardly close the flaps. The egg did not break.

We have been learning about parachutes and why they work, air resistance and everything. She decided she wanted to try to drop the box without the parachute to see what happens. The egg did not break.

So, she knows instinctively that the packaging is what kept the egg from breaking and that is where I'm having problems. I cannot find any "science terms" to explain to her why the packaging helped. I have looked at inertia, all of Newton's laws, forces of objects when they hit the ground, but I can't find anything that tallks about why packaging helps objects to not break. I think it has something to do with the energy of the egg being absorbed into the cottonballs. I don't know!

What I'm looking for specifically are terms with definitions and why those principles helped keep the egg from breaking. Thank you so much and I'm sorry if I'm posting this wrong or even in the wrong place. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's acceleration. Force is proportional to mass * acceleration.
One of the big 'lightbulb' moments in mechanics is realising that acceleration also applies to things stopping as well as cars setting off.

What the cotton wool balls are doing is slowing the egg to a stop more slowly so the overall acceleration is less. It's exactly like you breaking gently in a car against slamming on the brakes. Car crumple zones and airbags do exactly the same thing.

The parachute is also reducing acceleration but by making the initial speed lower, so you are de-accelerating form a slower speed to a stop in the same time.

ps Congratulations on teaching this stuff - Keep up the good work and please ask here if there is anything else you need to know !

Thank you so much for helping me out! That's what I needed to know. We've already been defining and talking about acceleration, terminal speed, mass, force and gravity so there's not really anything "new," just more in depth on the same things. Thank you for taking me seriously and answering my question. I really am grateful! Thanks!

Wow! Great job! By 8 I wouldn't have dreamed of doing such cool stuff! As mgb said, if you ever need any help the people on this forum are more than willing to help. I don't know the physics behind this but I thought it was cool when i was small. Take an egg long ways from point to point and try to break it with one hand. It is vurtually impossible, it is related to the structure of the shell! Sorry, slightly unrelated, anyway goodluck with the rest of the experiment!

_Mayday_

1. How does packaging prevent egg breakage?

Packaging plays a crucial role in preventing egg breakage by providing a protective barrier between the egg and external forces. The packaging material absorbs the impact and distributes the force evenly, reducing the chances of the egg breaking.

2. What types of packaging are most effective in preventing egg breakage?

Packaging materials such as foam, bubble wrap, and molded pulp are the most effective in preventing egg breakage. These materials have shock-absorbing properties and provide a cushioning effect to protect the egg from impacts.

3. How does the design of the packaging affect egg breakage prevention?

The design of the packaging is crucial in preventing egg breakage. A well-designed packaging should have a snug fit for the egg, preventing it from moving around during transportation. It should also have a sturdy outer layer to absorb any external forces.

4. Can the temperature during transportation affect egg breakage?

Yes, the temperature during transportation can affect egg breakage. Eggs are sensitive to extreme temperatures, and exposure to high or low temperatures can cause them to crack. Proper insulation and temperature control in packaging can help prevent this.

5. Are there any other factors besides packaging that can affect egg breakage during transportation?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect egg breakage during transportation. These include handling of the package, transportation methods, and the condition of the roads or airways. Proper handling and careful selection of transportation methods can also help prevent egg breakage.