Help with Experiment Homework: Find Delta W for Resonant Frequency Curve

• Thread starter nicholasjgroo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
Expert SummarizerIn summary, the conversation revolved around measuring the quality factor of a LRC circuit and finding the delta w for the resonant frequency curve. The equation for calculating the quality factor was mentioned, along with a formula for finding the bandwidth using the voltage at which the output drops to V(output)/sqrt(2). The speaker was having trouble solving the problem with multiple outcomes for V(out)/root2 and was advised to plot the output voltage measurements and use the points where the voltage is equal to V(output)/sqrt(2) to find w2 and w1, which can then be used to calculate Δw and the quality factor.
nicholasjgroo

Homework Statement

we're measuring the quality factor of a LRC circuit and trying to find delta w for the resonant frequency curve

Homework Equations

according to the notes we were give the 'bandwitch' is measure between the points where the volatge falls to v(output)/suare root 2

The Attempt at a Solution

i can't figure it out i have several different measurements of output voltage for different frequencys so v(out)/root2 has several outcomes and i don't quite know how i solve this

Physics news on Phys.org
problem

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question on the forum. It seems like you are trying to measure the quality factor of a LRC circuit and are having trouble finding the delta w for the resonant frequency curve.

To calculate the quality factor, you will need to use the formula Q = w0/Δw, where w0 is the resonant frequency and Δw is the bandwidth. In order to find Δw, you will need to use the equation given in your notes: Δw = w2 - w1, where w2 and w1 are the frequencies at which the voltage falls to V(output)/sqrt(2).

To determine w2 and w1, you will need to plot your output voltage measurements on a graph and find the points where the voltage is equal to V(output)/sqrt(2). These points will correspond to the frequencies w2 and w1 on your graph. You can then plug these values into the equation for Δw and use that to calculate the quality factor.

I hope this helps you solve your problem. Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work in your scientific endeavors!

1. What is Delta W in relation to a resonant frequency curve?

Delta W, also known as the bandwidth, is the width of the resonant frequency curve at half of its maximum amplitude. It represents the range of frequencies where the system is able to resonate with the greatest amplitude.

2. How do I find Delta W for a resonant frequency curve?

To find Delta W, you will need to plot the resonant frequency curve and measure the width of the curve at half of its maximum amplitude. This can be done manually by using a ruler or digitally by using a software program.

3. What is the significance of Delta W in a resonant frequency curve?

Delta W is an important parameter in a resonant frequency curve as it determines the range of frequencies that can be effectively amplified by the system. A larger Delta W indicates a wider range of frequencies that the system can resonate with, while a smaller Delta W indicates a more selective frequency range.

4. How does changing the damping affect Delta W in a resonant frequency curve?

Changing the damping, which is a measure of energy dissipation in the system, can affect the shape of the resonant frequency curve and thus the value of Delta W. A higher damping will result in a narrower Delta W, while a lower damping will result in a wider Delta W.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding Delta W in a resonant frequency curve?

Understanding Delta W can be useful in designing and optimizing systems that rely on resonance, such as musical instruments, radio receivers, and electronic circuits. It can also be applied in various fields of science and engineering, such as acoustics, mechanics, and electrical engineering.