1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with filter design-

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    help with filter design-urgent

hello guys I have to design a band pass filter for high quality audio crosoveer circuit.
    following are the given condidtions

filter range : 3kHz - 20khz
    stop band attenuation : 80dB/decade
    distortion in pass band should be minimum

can someone tell me how to decide maximum pass band attenuation to get high quality audio output
    thanks

P.S. friend told me that if we take maximum pass band attenuation as 3db filter qulity will decrease

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Re: help with filter design-urgent

What is the application? Why is it urgent? Are you thinking active or passive filter (or digital even)? What kind of distortion spec is "minimum"?

4. Nov 11, 2009 #3

applicationn: audio cross over
    urgent- i have to submit it friday
    filter type:active
    about distrotion:i have no idea

5. Nov 11, 2009 #4

berkeman

Okay, thread moved to Homework Help.

What do you know about active filter design? You must have some resources available for this homework assignment. What are the main topologies (polynomials) for active filters? Which one would you choose for this assignment, and why?

6. Nov 11, 2009 #5

well i have some idea how to design this,and actually i desgned 4th order sellen key band pass filter considering maximum pass band attenuation as 3dB,
    but then my friend told me with 3dB maximum pass band attenuation, filter will be poor quality.so all i need to know how to select value for maximum pass band attenuation

thanks

7. Nov 11, 2009 #6

berkeman

What textbook are you using? It sounds like you are not getting much information on the characteristics of various active filter topologies and applications. This chapter from a TI publication should be of help:

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ml/sloa088/sloa088.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Nov 11, 2009 #7

i use microelectronic circuits by sedra/smith biiok
    here are slides based on it

(rename this file to .zip exension. i had t rename it to pdf so i can bypass file size limit)

Attached Files:

9. Nov 11, 2009 #8

berkeman

ZIP files are discouraged here, since they can contain viruses. File name extension is similarly discouraged. Was the TI chapter of any help?

10. Nov 11, 2009 #9

I'm still reading it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook