What Is the Correct Approach to Calculate Enthalpy of Vaporization?

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
In summary: AZING! In summary, the vapor pressure of a liquid in the temperature range of 200K to 260K is given by the expression ln(p/Torr) = 16.255 - 2501.8(T/K). To calculate the enthalpy of vaporization of the liquid, the ratio of ln(p) to ln(p*) can be used to solve for the value of \Delta H_{vap}, which is equal to 20801.1 J/mol.
stunner5000pt
Vapour pressure of a liquid in the temperature range of 200Kto 260K is given by this expression

ln (p/Torr) = 16.255 - 2501.8(T/K)

Calculate the enthaly of vaporization of hte liquid

since this is the liquid vapour boundary

[tex] p = p^* e^-\chi [/tex]

and [tex] \chi = \frac{\Delta H}{R} (1/T - 1/T^*) [/tex]

so then the ratio of Ln p to ln p* would yield the expression for chi which i cna then solve for delta H but it doesn't yield that same answer

what am i doing wrog here can you push (or shove) me iin the right direction

i have an exam today thus i need to answer this once and for all

thank you for help!

Physics news on Phys.org
stunner5000pt said:
Vapour pressure of a liquid in the temperature range of 200Kto 260K is given by this expression

ln (p/Torr) = 16.255 - 2501.8(T/K)

Calculate the enthalpy of vaporization of the liquid
First of all it is important to get the question right if you want people to help you. Your expression is unintelligible as it is. The expression must be:

[tex]ln(P) = 16.255 - \frac{2501.8}{T}[/tex] where P is the ambient pressure in Torr (mm/hg) and T is in Kelvins. Now it makes sense.

The expression for vapour pressure is given by:

[tex]ln(P) = constant - \frac{\Delta H_{vap}}{RT}[/tex] where [itex]\Delta H_{vap}[/itex] is the Heat or Enthalpy of vaporization in J/mol.

From the expression for this gas, it is apparent that:
[tex]\frac{\Delta H_{vap}}{R} = 2501.8[/tex]

[tex]\Delta H_{vap} = 20801.1 \text{ J/mol.}[/tex]

AM

Last edited:

Hello! It looks like you are on the right track with using the Clausius-Clapeyron equation to find the enthalpy of vaporization. However, there are a few things that may be causing the discrepancy in your answer.

First, make sure that you are using consistent units throughout your calculations. The vapor pressure is given in Torr, so the temperature should also be in Kelvin.

Secondly, double check your values for the vapor pressure at the two temperatures given (200K and 260K). These values will be used to calculate the ratio of ln(p/p*) in the Clausius-Clapeyron equation.

Lastly, check your calculations for ln(p/p*) and make sure that you are using the correct logarithm base (natural logarithm, ln).

If you are still having trouble, I would recommend checking with a classmate or your instructor for further clarification. Best of luck on your exam!

What is enthelpy?

Enthelpy is a term that refers to the overall energy of a system. It is a measure of the system's ability to do work or create change.

Why is it important to find enthelpy?

Finding enthelpy is important in understanding the behavior of a system and predicting its future changes. It can also help identify the most efficient ways to utilize the energy within the system.

How do you calculate enthelpy?

The formula for calculating enthelpy is H = U + PV, where H is the enthelpy, U is the internal energy, P is the pressure, and V is the volume of the system.

What are some practical applications of enthelpy?

Enthelpy has various applications in different fields, such as thermodynamics, chemical engineering, and environmental science. It is used in designing efficient energy systems, studying chemical reactions, and understanding the Earth's energy balance.

Can enthelpy be created or destroyed?

According to the first law of thermodynamics, enthelpy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. This principle is known as the conservation of enthelpy.