Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Firefox

1. Jun 13, 2017 #1
    My firefox browser is not behaving.

1) For a while, it crash like ones a day and I had to push and hold the power button to turn it off and then restart it.

2) Since this morning, I cannot get into my email and said that maybe my server prevent exchange of some cookies.

Things I did before I post here to ask:

a) I gone into Windows and recovered to yesterday, it did not help.
    b) I uninstalled the Firefox and went to their site and download/install the new firefox. Still I cannot get into my email.
    c) I unplugged both the boxes that connect to the DSL phone line and the wifi, wait for 15 seconds and plug back in to reset them. It did not help.
    d) I use my other older laptop, It works normally, I can get into the email and all.

So the problem is confined to this computer. What else can I do?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The power button is the computer. Does the whole operating system crash? Are you sure it is browser-related?

Where do you access emails, and why do you use a browser for that?
    Does a different browser on the same computer work?
    Firefox and windows there?

4. Jun 13, 2017 #3
    Thanks for replying.

The whole computer is frozen, Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work, the mouse does not work, the computer does not respond to anything, no way to get out of it except pushing the power button.

I have all 3 browser running, the IE always works, so is the Chrome. Problem only with Firefox.

Both computer has Firefox and Windows. The older one that is working has Win10, the one that has problem is Win7. Both laptop are very new, The older one is 4th generation I5, the newer one that has problem is 6th generation I7. So both are very new.

Thanks

5. Jun 13, 2017 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I have had EXACTLY the same problem for the last few days. I thought it was because I was running an older 32-bit version of FireFox so I upgraded to the latest 64-bit version and it made no difference at all. There's something about the combination of FireFox and the current version of PF that causes my computer to become a doorstop about once a day. A hard restart is the only solution. I think it also happens with the Wood Barter Forum, which not coincidentally runs exactly the same base server code as PF.

My guess is that the underlying base server software has had an upgrade that causes a very severe conflict with FireFox.

6. Jun 13, 2017 #5

mfb

2016 Award

That is interesting. My Firefox crashes once in a while when I open multiple PF tabs together. It doesn't crash the computer and I can directly restart Firefox, but it is something that started happening recently (2-3 weeks?).

That doesn't have to be the program that is currently running.

7. Jun 13, 2017 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, it's one hell of a coincidence that it only happens when I open PF or WB with FireFox.

8. Jun 13, 2017 #7

Evo

I can't use Firefox, it's an absolute nightmare. I have Win 10 and the latest version of Firefox was installed, had to uninstall it.

After the "level 3" Microsoft tech called me about the issues I was having with "Creator", they had me revert to the old version, admitted they had made a serious mistake and would start working on a fix. I have heard nothing since, haven't received any notices to change. The techs had me try all of the browsers and IE and Chrome had the least issues.

LOL, I see that they are now touting a "new" Creator due in September. I hope they worked out the bugs. Ok, who am I kidding? You know they wait for complaints to alert them of the bugs.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  9. Jun 13, 2017 #8
    Wow, I did not expect this. I always like Firefox. Funny it all started to happen about a month and half ago when I have to keep restarting the computer. Then I cannot get into my email.

Also, it seems to be very slow for a while compare to the other two.

10. Jun 14, 2017 #9

Mark44

Which suggests to me that it's not a hardware problem...

11. Jun 14, 2017 #10

OCR

Firefox seems to be working fine for me here... and here.

Firefox Performance.JPG

12. Jun 14, 2017 #11
    I use Firefox with Linux Mint and Solus, and have zero problems with any website or multiple tabs. Perhaps the problem is elsewhere. (Dual core Pentium G630 desktop)

13. Jun 14, 2017 #12
    Agreed, I suspect it's due to add-ons/plugins, and suggest loading Firefox in safe mode by running the command 'firefox /safe-mode' to verify.
    I've noticed major performance issues on Windows 10 version 1703 (Creator edition) with Firefox on my older laptop, but so far I'm just pushing through instead of restoring to the 1607 version.

https://m.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/26/stop_downloading_win10_creators_update/

14. Jun 14, 2017 #13

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

The problem is this has only happens maybe 4 times in the last week and I am very active on the internet and open both PF and WB tabs frequently throughout the day.

15. Jun 14, 2017 #14

OCR

Isn't this the same ... ?

Firefox tools .JPG

16. Jun 14, 2017 #15
    So is there anything I can do, I am crippled!!! Should I start using the older laptop?

17. Jun 15, 2017 #16
    If Chrome and IE work fine, and running Firefox in safe-mode doesn't help, I suggest performing a full uninstall to remove any application or profile corruption, and then do a fresh install.

18. Jun 15, 2017 #17

Evo

Well, they pushed the Creator update to me, I didn't update it on my own and they still had to admit they had made a serious mistake that I discovered. Had to do with them not realizing that a lot of websites had flash AND HTML5. They had configured it so that if Edge saw HTML5, it automatically disabled flash and left you no option to enable flash, leaving many major websites useless. OOOPS! Dummies.

19. Jun 15, 2017 #18
    I did uninstall and reinstall. But one thing strange is the new one has all the bookmarks and remember everything right from the beginning.

I already saved the bookmark, how can I wipe everything out and start from the beginning, then load back the .json to get back my bookmarks?

Thanks

20. Jun 15, 2017 #19
    The link in my last post walks you through deleting the user profile directories, which will clear everything out.

21. Jun 15, 2017 #20
    Sorry, the one I have problem is Win7.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted