Help with Firefox

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
Are the online installer and the offline installer for Firefox for Windows 10 , different in the results of the finished installation that each does?
No, they both use the same file per SHA1 hash check:

Is there a difference on a 64-bit Windows 10 machine between using 32-bit Firefox and using 64-bit Firefox? Or for installing them?
The Online Stub installer lets you choose which installer to run if you click the 'Options' button during install, and all versions can be downloaded from the site:

Here's some gory details on the differences between 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Firefox:

rbelli1
Gold Member
I did not do a thing. This is really strange and funny.
Did any automatic updates especially for video drivers occur?

Your problem has a hardware vibe to it. on modern OS's the only times I have ever see that level of crash is a hardware failure. The fact that it only happened with one piece of software indicates that that program was tickling something in a bad way or was tickling a (failed) feature that none of the other programs were.

I would suggest that you make sure anything important is backed up. Hopefully it was just a bad driver.

BoB

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
stoomart,

The last article you gave seems the most helpful. Since I will want Adblock-Plus AND Web Of Trust plugins or extensions, I would need to choose the 32-bit Firefox (because most plugins or extensions are not available for 64-bit Firefox).

... and I need to check RAM on the intended machine before deciding which form of Firefox, for "bit".

I think the article is a bit outdated regarding plugins since I use Adblock-Plus with Firefox 64-bit.

Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
What else can I do?
Hi yungman:

I am using Firefox on Windows 7 with no problems. Have you run any virus and/or malware checkers?

Regards,
Buzz

Hi yungman:

I am using Firefox on Windows 7 with no problems. Have you run any virus and/or malware checkers?

Regards,
Buzz
I have Norton 360. It is constantly checking. Anything else I need to do?

Did any automatic updates especially for video drivers occur?

Your problem has a hardware vibe to it. on modern OS's the only times I have ever see that level of crash is a hardware failure. The fact that it only happened with one piece of software indicates that that program was tickling something in a bad way or was tickling a (failed) feature that none of the other programs were.

I would suggest that you make sure anything important is backed up. Hopefully it was just a bad driver.

BoB
So far, it doesn't not feel like it's hardware, everything is with Firefox and everything is fixed now after I uninstalled and reinstalled the Firefox.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I have Norton 360. It is constantly checking. Anything else I need to do?
Not mean to say that it would make a difference, but you can upgrade your Norton product to Norton Security. Just be aware of some 'improved' adjustments to how Identify Safe works between Norton Security and Firefox.

I am running the latest firefox on a pretty standard HP desktop, with no problems at all.
I think malware is a possible cause of your problem.
The people who do that stuff target popular PC configurations.
Often the malware isn't doing much for a while, it's waiting for commands ( from a hacker), but it does cause weird behaviour whilst doing that.
A typical symptom is a lot of hard disk drive activity when there is no reason why that should be.
I would recommend a deep system scan using the free version of this:
https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Last edited:
I am running the latest firefox on a pretty standard HP desktop, with no problems at all.
I think malware is a possible cause of your problem.
The people who do that stuff target popular PC configurations.
Often the malware isn't doing much for a while, it's waiting for commands ( from a hacker), but it does cause weird behaviour whilst doing that.
A typical symptom is a lot of hard disk drive activity when there is no reason why that should be.
I would recommend a deep system scan using the free version of this:
https://www.malwarebytes.com/
I did what you suggested, run the free version. Firefox seems to run a lot faster and the fan doesn't come up as much.

Thanks