1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with forces

1. Sep 29, 2004 #1
    Help with forces!!!!!!!!

I need help with this, I've been trying but I don't understand it. Can anyone help me????? :frown: :confused:

A 830.0 kg car travelling on a level road at 27.0 m/s (60.5 mi/hr) can stop, locking its wheels, in a distance of 61.0 m (200.1 ft). Find the size of the horizontal force which the car applies on the road while stopping.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2004 #2

Homework Helper

try [tex] W = \Delta K [/tex]
  4. Sep 29, 2004 #3
    I don't know how is exactly that formula, but I find one, maybe it's the same.

[tex] a= (v^2-v_{i}^2)/(2* \Delta x) [/tex]

Now I have other problem

Find the stopping distance of that same car when it is traveling up a 19.9° slope, and it locks its wheels while traveling at 33.5 m/s (75.0 mi/hr). Assume that [tex] \mu_k [/tex] does not depend on the speed.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  5. Sep 30, 2004 #4
    please help me, this is urgent...
    Any formulas will be helpful
  6. Sep 30, 2004 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

1. What's the normal force exerted on the ground upon the car?
    2. How is the magnitude of frictional force related to the magnitude of the normal force?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?