Help with Forensics: Physics Experiment with Blood Splatters

• Thread starter man_united_number_1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involved a physics experiment on blood splatters, where the number of splatters increased as more drops were dropped. The surface and distance between drops were discussed as factors that could affect the results. The conversation also touched on a similar phenomenon with milk drops forming a crown-like structure on a surface. High speed photographs were shared in hopes of gaining more insight.
man_united_number_1
Im am currently doing a physics experiment involving blood splatters.

Results

No. of drops No. of splatters
2 114
3 237
4 337

The drops were dropped in succession and I was hoping someone could help me describe what was going on. In note form that's what I think happens. (diameter of drop on the ground surface was within 1 or 2 mm of each other)

No of splatters increased as more drops were dropped, more volume at base causing more ‘blood’ to be pushed aside for the incoming blood?

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I must preface this with the warning that I'm quite inebriated at the moment, so I might be missing something. As far as I can see, since the surface wasn't specified, it's indeterminable. The distance between the blood drops can be a function of either how much the victim was bleeding, or how fast he/she was moving. Rapid movement would mean more distance between drops, but it should also result in 'teardrop shaped' elongated stains. That might not be evident on a carpet, but should be on a hard surface or grass. In the case of a carpet, though, you might be able to determine how fast someone was movng by gauging the footprint depths and spacing versus the known weight and leg length of that person. That's about all that I can offer for now. I'll check back tomorrow.

Have you ever seen the famous high speed photograph of a crown like structure formed by a drop of milk falling into a container of milk? The crown has various little protrusions of milk forming upwards with little drops forming at their ends. The protrusions form a circular (crown like structure) around the point where the drop came onto the surface. The protrusions form arches outwards (maybe parabolas?). I have no solid backing for how these structures form, but if I had to guess I would think it is a result of collisions of waves formed in the liquid by the falling drop, or vibrations (which are essentially the same phenomena). As the amount of liquid increases the pool can support more vibrations, causing more protrusions to form.

The drops were dropped from a dropper onto a hard surface (desk bench in the lab) vertically from height 1m.

If that helps anyone. My mate is bringing his high speed camera round in the next couple of days so hopefully that can shed some light.

Thanks for your help.

Found high speed photographs of this process at :

http://ns.ph.sci.toho-u.ac.jp/gakka/history/topics/milkcrown.jpg"

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the purpose of a physics experiment with blood splatters?

The purpose of a physics experiment with blood splatters is to understand and analyze the physics behind blood splatter patterns in order to gather evidence and solve crimes in forensic investigations.

What equipment is needed for a physics experiment with blood splatters?

The equipment needed for a physics experiment with blood splatters includes a blood source (such as a syringe or pipette), a surface to create the splatters (such as paper or cloth), a ruler or measuring tape, and a protractor or angle-measuring tool.

What factors affect the size and shape of blood splatters in a physics experiment?

The size and shape of blood splatters in a physics experiment can be affected by the height and angle at which the blood is dropped, the type of surface the blood lands on, and the viscosity (thickness) of the blood itself. The force and direction of impact can also play a role.

How can a physics experiment with blood splatters help in a criminal investigation?

A physics experiment with blood splatters can help in a criminal investigation by providing valuable evidence about the direction, velocity, and location of blood that may have been shed during a crime. This information can help reconstruct the events that took place and potentially identify a suspect.

Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when conducting a physics experiment with blood splatters?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when conducting a physics experiment with blood splatters. These include wearing protective gear (such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat), using a sterile blood source, and properly disposing of any materials contaminated with blood.