1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Fourier series

1. Dec 16, 2005 #1
    Hi, can someone help me out with the following question?

Q. Show that the Fourier series for the function y(x) = |x| in the range -pi <= x < pi is

[tex]
    y\left( x \right) = \frac{\pi }{2} - \frac{4}{\pi }\sum\limits_{m = 0}^\infty {\frac{{\cos \left( {2m + 1} \right)x}}{{\left( {2m + 1} \right)^2 }}}
    [/tex]

By integrating term by term from 0 to x, find the function g(x) whose Fourier series is

[tex]
    \frac{4}{\pi }\sum\limits_{m = 0}^\infty {\frac{{\sin \left( {2m + 1} \right)x}}{{\left( {2m + 1} \right)^3 }}}
    [/tex]

Deduce the sum S of the series: [tex]1 - \frac{1}{{3^3 }} + \frac{1}{{5^3 }} - \frac{1}{{7^3 }} + ...[/tex]

I took the Fourier series for y(x) and I integrated it as follows.

[tex]
    \int\limits_0^x {\left( {\frac{\pi }{2}} \right)} dt - \frac{4}{\pi }\sum\limits_{m = 0}^\infty {\left( {\int\limits_0^x {\frac{{\cos \left( {2m + 1} \right)t}}{{\left( {2m + 1} \right)^2 }}dt} } \right)}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    = \frac{{\pi x}}{2} - \frac{4}{\pi }\sum\limits_{m = 0}^\infty {\frac{{\sin \left( {2m + 1} \right)x}}{{\left( {2m + 1} \right)^3 }}}
    [/tex]

I don't know what to do with it to find the function whose Fourier series is

[tex]
    \frac{4}{\pi }\sum\limits_{m = 0}^\infty {\frac{{\sin \left( {2m + 1} \right)x}}{{\left( {2m + 1} \right)^3 }}}
    [/tex]

Can someone help me get started? I'm not sure what to do.

Edit: Do I just equate the integral I evaluated to the integral of |x|(considering x positive and negative separately) and solve the equation for the sine series?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2005 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you integrate y(x) (or y(t)) over the interval and then you can find the function g(x).

4. Dec 16, 2005 #3
    Thanks for the help. I'm just having some problems working out the sum.

From the previous working I have

[tex]
    \frac{4}{\pi }\sum\limits_{m = 0}^\infty {\frac{{\sin \left( {2m + 1} \right)x}}{{\left( {2m + 1} \right)^3 }}} = \frac{x}{2}\left( {\pi - x} \right)
    [/tex] for x positive or zero.

I have another expression for x negative but it isn't needed in finding the sum so I'll leave it out.

The sum I want to find is: [tex]S = 1 - \frac{1}{{3^3 }} + \frac{1}{{5^3 }} - \frac{1}{{7^3 }} + ...[/tex]

If I set x = pi/2 then sin(2m+1)x = (-1)^m for all integers m >=0. So using the equation from previous working:

[tex]
    \frac{4}{\pi }\sum\limits_{m = 0}^\infty {\frac{{\sin \left( {2m + 1} \right)\frac{\pi }{2}}}{{\left( {2m + 1} \right)^3 }}}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    = \frac{4}{\pi }\sum\limits_{m = 0}^\infty {\left( { - 1} \right)^m \frac{1}{{\left( {2m + 1} \right)^3 }}}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    = \frac{1}{2}\left( {\frac{\pi }{2}} \right)\left( {\pi - \frac{\pi }{2}} \right)
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \Rightarrow S = \sum\limits_{m = 0}^\infty {\left( { - 1} \right)^m \frac{1}{{\left( {2m + 1} \right)^3 }}} = \frac{\pi }{2}
    [/tex]

The answer is S = ((pi)^3)/32. I don't know what I'm leaving out. Any further help would be good thanks.

5. Dec 16, 2005 #4

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check your math in the last step. (ie, the cross multiplication)

6. Dec 16, 2005 #5
    Thanks for the help. I mistakenly got rid of a factor of pi and ignored some constants. It works out now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?