Is a Fractal Dimension of 0.65 Possible in Nonlinear Oscillator Systems?

In summary, The author is investigating chaos in non-linear coupled spring oscillators and wanted to determine if the generated Poincare map was fractal. They used a box counting method to calculate the fractal dimension, but their calculated slope was approximately 0.65, which is not within the usual range of 1-2 for fractal dimensions. They are seeking help to determine if they made a mistake and also mention that they may have posted in the wrong place. The author also mentions that they plotted log(1/e) and log(N(e)) to determine the slope, which approaches 0 at small box sizes due to limited resolution in their Poincare map.
Joran
First post!

I'm investigating chaos in non linear coupled spring oscillators. After generating a poincare' map of said system i wanted to see if the map was fractal. i proceeded to use a box counting method in order to calculate a fractal dimension.

I generated a plot of log(number of occupied boxes) versus log(total boxes) and the slope should be the fractal dimension, i think. However my slope was approximately .65

Is this acceptable? I've only seen fractal dimensions of values between 1 and 2. Which leads me to believe I've done something wrong. any help?

also if i posted in the wrong place i apologize in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
should be more than 1. Dont you need to guarantee that the structures in each box are self-similar?

I think this is more appropriate for your data:

4ef00bf6711362601423ddefe26b6237.png

where e is the s box size

thanks for the reply

i plotted log(1/e) on the x-axis and log(N(e)) on the y-axis, making the slope D

in terms of taking the limit as the box approaches zero: my poincare' map has a limited resolution (number of data points taken) and at small box sizes the total number of occupied boxes will only approach the max number of data points.

my plot of log(1/e) on the x-axis and log(N(e)) on the y-axis shows this because at small box sizes the slope approaches 0.

Hello and welcome to the world of fractal dimensions! It sounds like you are on the right track in your investigation. The box counting method is a common way to estimate the fractal dimension of a system, so your approach is valid.

A slope of 0.65 is within the acceptable range for a fractal dimension. As you mentioned, fractal dimensions typically fall between 1 and 2, but there are exceptions. For example, the famous Mandelbrot set has a fractal dimension of approximately 2.1.

It is possible that you have done something wrong in your calculations, but it is also possible that your system has a fractal dimension of 0.65. I would recommend double checking your calculations and perhaps trying a different method to confirm your results. Additionally, it may be helpful to compare your results to other systems with known fractal dimensions to see if they align.

Overall, it seems like you are on the right track and with some further investigation, you should be able to determine the true fractal dimension of your system. Best of luck in your research!

What is a fractal dimension?

A fractal dimension is a mathematical concept that describes the complexity of a fractal object. It measures how much space a fractal object fills up in a given space, compared to the actual amount of space it takes up. In simple terms, it is a way to quantify the irregularity and self-similarity of a fractal.

Why is understanding fractal dimensions important?

Understanding fractal dimensions is important because it helps us understand the complexity and patterns found in nature. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics, biology, and computer science. For example, fractal dimensions can be used to analyze the structure of the human lung or to compress digital images.

How is the fractal dimension calculated?

The fractal dimension is calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account the size and scale of a fractal object. The most commonly used method is the box-counting method, which involves dividing the fractal object into smaller and smaller boxes and calculating the number of boxes needed to cover the object. The fractal dimension is then given by the ratio of the log of the number of boxes to the log of the box size.

What are some examples of fractals in nature?

Some common examples of fractals in nature include snowflakes, coastlines, mountains, and trees. These objects exhibit self-similarity, meaning that they have similar patterns at different scales. For example, a tree branch looks similar to the entire tree, and a snowflake has the same shape as a single ice crystal.

Can fractal dimensions be non-integer values?

Yes, fractal dimensions can have non-integer values, unlike the dimensions we are used to in Euclidean geometry. This is because fractals have a fractional dimension, meaning that they do not have a whole number of dimensions. This is due to their self-similarity and the fact that they can fill up more space than their actual dimensions suggest.